Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Engineering Science at University of Toronto

TheDude2491TheDude2491 Posts: 239Registered User Junior Member
edited June 2010 in Engineering Majors
Is this program as hard as it sounds? I was reading another forum and everyone was complaining about how hardcore it is. They made it sound like a workload from places like MIT where everyone is cramming for tests and pulling over nighters because of the 6-7 course load per semester.

So has anyone on this forum heard about or been in this program and can give me some insights?
Post edited by TheDude2491 on

Replies to: Engineering Science at University of Toronto

• TransEngCCTransEngCC Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
    I don't much about U of Toronto, but they don't have not the best Canadian Engineering School.

UofT is the 2nd best Canadian University overall, though.
  • eceuoftorontoeceuoftoronto Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    The original poster is absolutely right. The workload in EngSci is extremely intense. Since I have never studied at MIT, I cannot make a comparison, but EngSci is no joke. Be prepared to have no life at all. UofT engineering is tough, and EngSci is the toughest of them all.

EngSci is good if you are looking at research. But if you are just looking for a regular engineering job after graduation I don't think EngSci will help.

Actually check this link out. A poster called "Coolin" gives you a nice idea about the program.

Engineering Science at UofT - RedFlagDeals.com Forums
  • noimaginationnoimagination Posts: 7,016Registered User Senior Member
    I've read some very impressive things about it. The program is definitely rigorous.

I am strongly suspicious of TransEngCC's post. It reeks of bias, ****, or both.
  • TransEngCCTransEngCC Posts: 45Registered User Junior Member
    what bias?
    I was pretty clear when I said that I didn't know a lot about, but I also said That UofT is consider the SECOND BEST UNIVERSITY in Canada, just check the Rankings, US News, etc.

Having said that The University of Waterloo is generally Considered the best Canadian Engineering School, this is a fact also, some people even go as further as to called it "The MIT of The North."

so no bias here since like I said, I don't know a whole lot about either U of Toronto or Waterloo, I'm just saying what most rankings show.

You, my friend, have you look up the word Bias.
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Posts: 5,461Registered User Senior Member
    I've always heard better things about U. of Toronto and McGill than Waterloo. Given that I am American, my knowledge of the Canadian universities is somewhat limited, but I hear a lot more about research at Toronto and McGill and see a lot more professors from either of those two schools than from Waterloo.
  • GLOBALTRAVELERGLOBALTRAVELER Posts: 2,856Registered User Senior Member
    I have not looked at the curriculum for UofT's Engineering Science program to compare it to similar programs here in the USA, but from what I have witnessed in my years in the industry, an "engineering science" degree is a pretty good choice. It does not pigeonhole you into the same engineering area. From what I have seen, it allows managers to put you in various roles on different projects.
  • TheDude2491TheDude2491 Posts: 239Registered User Junior Member
    Alright guys, thanks a lot for the replies.

ECEUofToronto, are you doing ECE at U of T right now? Can you give me any inputs about this program and how tough it is?

Also, for you Americans out there, Waterloo and U of T are pretty much equal in engineering, at least to us Canadians. Waterloo is for people who want jobs right after graduation and U of T is more for people who want to graduate school after. Take this with a grain of salt because this is at only what I and a few of my other friends think of it.
  • noimaginationnoimagination Posts: 7,016Registered User Senior Member
    Okay, TransEngCC:

1. You now seem to be claiming that UofT is the second-best engineering school in Canada. Since your first post clearly distinguished between NOT being the best eng school but being second best OVERALL, that seemed like a fairly clear implication that the engineering ranking would be below 2nd.

2. Waterloo has a very impressive coop program, but in terms of research output and academic prestige UofT is clearly superior. You may look at any ranking that ranks such things and see that this is true, including for engineering-specific rankings. What does that mean? The two are peers that probably serve different purposes, exactly as TheDude tells us in post #8

3. My wording may have been a bit harsh. If so, I apologize.

@topic: You might want to check out the forum at studentawards.com. People over there tend to be abrupt, rude, and offer poor advice, but there are some current EngSci students who can provide a real perspective on what the program is like. Look in the Engineering Majors subforum there for engsci threads.
  • TheDude2491TheDude2491 Posts: 239Registered User Junior Member
    NoImagination, that was the forum I was looking at before posting here haha.

But ya, some of those guys gave me pretty sound advice while others got into debates similar to this one...
  • eceuoftorontoeceuoftoronto Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    Somebody said USNews ranked Waterloo higher than UofT for engineering.

Well right from the horse's mouth

World's Best Universities: Engineering and IT - US News and World Report

UofT = Rank 8th
    Waterloo = 27th

So there you go. This should lay to rest any assumptions about UofT's rankings.

Hey TheDude,

I graduated from UofT last year. A bit about me.

I personally found UofT to be tough. But I was never really interested in engineering and I was kind of forced into it (Yea..I am Indian). So maybe that's why I found it to be tough. But I flourished in the business courses I took. I had a terrible CGPA (sub 2.75)but even with GPA I got 8 (including companies like Microsoft)interviews in this "recession" and ended up with a good job at a fancy French company. So I am not complaining. Point being you don't need a crazy high GPA to land a good job from UofT.

But if I had to do it all over again, I would NOT have gone to electrical engineering. I hated my time there. I would have gone to industrial engineering (but I figured what I wanted to do only in 3rd year and by then it was too late to transfer). IE is apparently very easy compared to EngSci or Elec.

Here is my take on UofT:

Pros

1) Good reputation. Apparently well respected in the US. I don't know or care about the reputation among the general population, but with the people who matter (adcoms for grad schools) UofT is considered a good school. What I am about to say might draw some (a lot?) of arguments but I am going to say it anyways. A friend of mine went to MIT for grad school and TAed a class. You know what he said to me? He told me there is not a whole lot of difference in the quality of students between UofT engineering and students at MIT. This is just one person's opinion and take his opinion FWIW.

2) Lots of books you use are actually written by UofT profs. Some of these books are infact used worldwide (for eg Sedra and Smith in microelectronics). You get to learn from some amazing profs.

3) If you are interested in research, you will have very many opportunities. Like tons and tons!

4) Facilities are awesome (especially for engineering science students).

5) If you are interested in consulting or ibanking, good companies do recruit here (McK, Bain, BCG, Goldman, JPM, All Canadian banks). Not in droves like how these companies recruit in the US, but they do recruit here.

6) Comparatively cheap.

7) Toronto is an amazing city. And the main StGeorge campus is located in downtown. So ample opportunities to have fun. Since UofT is huge so you will find some group that interests you. There is always something or the other going on in the campus. There are tons of intramural sports going on (I used to play for the engineering rugby and ultimate frisbee team). I was involved in like a million clubs. Believe me, you will never ever be bored at UofT.

Cons:

1) BIG class sizes (but I think this is true of US public universities as well).

2) Cut throat competition. No seriously don't underestimate this.

3) The grading is harsh. There is a strict bellcurve. Only like 15% of the class is allowed to get above an 80 (A-). So you will have to work insanely hard.

4) You will have to take the initiative. There is not going to be any hand-holding. Its a tough place.
  • medroboticsmedrobotics Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    Ignore what TransEngCC (the ****) has to say about this topic. He doesnt go to U of T, and makes unwarranted claims. He also needs a primer on English grammer lol.

I graduated from Eng Sci (just 2 weeks ago) and have to say it is an extremely rigorous program, in line with what you said in your original post (6-7 courses, cramming, all nighters, etc), especially in the first two years.

I'd have to agree with eceuoftoronto for the most part...except for the facilities. Dude lol, compared to most other schools, I think U of T has a long way to go in terms of improving our facilities - I mean look at buildings like Walberg, Haultain, Mining - they are TERRIBLE.

If you can ignore that, engineering education (and Eng Sci in particular) is VERY good value for your money, and is well regarded elsewhere. More so, being offered at U of T in downtown toronto, if you live close by, all the better. Personally I commuted, but would have preferred to live downtown towards my 4th year (thesis work/design projects were very intense!)

Speaking from personal experience, even with mediocre grades in Eng Sci, I have been offered research and work positions in Stanford, Johns Hopkins and even abroad (the UK, Imperial college) in fields related to biomedical and electrical engienering.

So, if you decide to go into this program and slog it out, you'll probably be reasonably well prepared for grad school/work after in engineering.