Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How much math do you need to know to be an engineer?

pierre0913pierre0913 Posts: 7,558Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2010 in Engineering Majors
I just noticed that my school does not require you to take linear algebra if you are an engineering major (unless you are a computer engineering major) and I know it is required at some schools.

So my question is, how much math do you need to know to be a really good engineer? I am looking into either civil or environmental engineer

Below are the math classes that I am required to take:

MTHSC 106, H106 Calculus of One Variable I 4(4,0)
Topics include analytic geometry, introduction to derivatives, computation and application of derivatives, integrals, exponential and logarithm functions.

MTHSC 108, H108 Calculus of One Variable II 4(4,0) Topics include transcendental functions, applications of integration, integration techniques, indeterminate forms, improper integrals, parametric equations, polar coordinates, and infinite series.

MTHSC 206, H206 Calculus of Several Variables 4(4,0) Topics include real valued functions of several variables, multiple integration, differential calculus of functions of several variables, vector field theory.

MTHSC 208, H208 Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations 4(4,0) Introduction to the study of differential equations and their application to physical problems. Topics include exact, series, and numerical solutions; solutions by means of Laplace transforms; and solutions of systems of differential equations.
Post edited by pierre0913 on

Replies to: How much math do you need to know to be an engineer?