Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Whats the most credit hours you've taken in a semester?

iambored10iambored10 Posts: 1,571Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2012 in Engineering Majors
I've taken 16 hours once and it was pretty rough. Just wondering whats the most you guys have taken and whats the number of credit hours you (ideally) think you can handle?
Post edited by iambored10 on

Replies to: Whats the most credit hours you've taken in a semester?

• alchemist007alchemist007 Posts: 419Registered User Member
    I've taken 16.

But my best friend took 22 credits.
    He took
    Physics
    Calc 2
    chem
    engineer intro
    economics
    Spanish
    he also got straight As.
  • jwxiejwxie Posts: 1,479Registered User Senior Member
    18. 16 is not tough unless you are packing the most difficult courses all together.
    16 or above is normal (freshman - junior)
    18 is probably what most people do.
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Posts: 5,501Registered User Senior Member
    I took 22 and failed miserably.

I never took less than 16 until my senior year and did fine.
  • mccormickt12mccormickt12 Posts: 504Registered User Member
    22 if you wanna finish in 4 years, that is what it takes
  • QwertyKeyQwertyKey Posts: 4,590Registered User Senior Member
    19 and did fine, but they weren't all engineering classes.

The number of credits that can be handled is very dependent on what classes you're taking. I might have been able to handle one more three credit class on top of that 19, but that would have been very stressful, and isn't something I look at as worth putting myself through to get 1 extra class in. I think what I did then was good.
  • ken285ken285 Posts: 3,883Registered User Senior Member
    What school requires 22 credits in a semester to finish in 4 years? And I thought I had it rough! My undergrad curriculum required 1 semester of 18.5 credits and 4 semesters of 18 credits in order to graduate in time. I did fine.
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Posts: 5,501Registered User Senior Member

You must go to a strange place, because I have never heard of that being the case. Usually, if you want to graduate in 4 years, you need to average 16 or so per semester. Most degrees require around 125 to 135 credits total. I have never heard of one that requires 176 (aka 22 x 8).
  • siglio21siglio21 Posts: 2,678Registered User Senior Member
    well i would imagine that some students would be forced to take extra credits due to lack of course offerings, minors, bad advising, GEs, etc...
    Core courses will always be offered. The only problem that may occur is if you fail a course that's offered once a year and have to retake it.

Students typically aren't required to get a minor.

As far as bad advising, I don't know of any school that doesn't have a recommended plan/curriculum that would make you take more credits than required for graduation.

GE's are accounted for into graduation requirements and won't force you to take extra credits.

In general, schools usually have a recommended "track" for each major that lets them graduate in 4 years without overloading or taking summer courses. If you follow it, then it shouldn't be a problem.
  • jwxiejwxie Posts: 1,479Registered User Senior Member
    This might be true in foreign country, or a school that uses a different system.
  • PurdueEEPurdueEE Posts: 705Registered User Member
    21 and got straight A's for that semester. Most semesters were much less (15ish).
  • iambored10iambored10 Posts: 1,571Registered User Senior Member
    damn what kinda engineering programs are you guys in?! The most/standard here is 15 hours per semester to graduate in 4 years WITHOUT AP credit. With AP credit you can cut 2-3 hours off per semester and still graduate in 4 years.
    It's not uncommon for some programs to require more than 120 credits for graduation. Mine's required 135.

Also, some people may decide to take additional courses on their own above and beyond the requirements.
  • GraysonAUGraysonAU Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I took 39 units during the last Spring semester with a GPA of 3.6. Think it's the state record for California. It was brutal to say the least, but I think I could have done another 10.
  • aibarraibarr Posts: 4,248Registered User Senior Member
    I took 19 hours, worked a part-time job for about 10 hrs a week, applied to seven grad programs, and was drum major of the band (essentially a 40 hr/week job) during the fall of my senior year in college. Not recommended. Please don't do that. That was a series of poor choices. Even though it turned out okay GPA-wise, I still haven't found some of the marbles that I lost that semester.