Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UT Financial Aid Short Answers

jewelledhunterjewelledhunter Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
The prompt for UT's short answer is Special circumstances that affect your family's ability to fund your college expenses. The max is 240 characters. The problem is, on paper, my parents can easily pay for UT all four years especially since I'm an instate student. But money's dear and I'd like to reduce the burden on my parents. What can I possibly write about?
Post edited by jewelledhunter on

Replies to: UT Financial Aid Short Answers

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,429Registered User Senior Member
    You really can't....nor should you. Special circumstances are not for families who have the money to pay. Special circumstances are for - well - special circumstances...like mom has cancer, dad's been out of work for 6 months, house burned down,.....

I understand your desire to reduce your parents' expenses, but this isn't the way. A school's limited need-based aid needs to be reserved for those who are truly in need.

If you really want to reduce your parents' costs, then go to a college where your stats will get you a good merit scholarship.

What are your stats?

Stats

SAT: 790 CR, 780 Math, 790 Writing (11 on essay)

With your stats, there are schools that would give you big scholarships. So, if you want to save your parents money, seek those out.

Are you NMSF?????

What is your GPA?

What is your likely career/major?
  • jewelledhunterjewelledhunter Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
    I was under the impression that I was applying for merit scholarships under this application. I'm not checking off on the scholarships that say "financial need necessary". Or are there none for UT Austin and I've just been looking at the wrong sources?

I'm Commended, not Semi-Finalist.

My GPA is 3.92, class rank is 6.5% (I qualify for automatic admission as an instate student), I'm planning on majoring in Poli Sci (planning on Pre-law track). UT is my safety school essentially.
  • plumazulplumazul Posts: 1,569Registered User Senior Member
    @jewell, if saving your parents some $ is your goal, you might take your chances on BIG merit aid. Your stats are not much different from mine, and I got a full-ride at Maryland. It's a great school(public ivy)! Do you have straight A's now? How many total B's?

Banneker/Key Scholars - Honors College - University of Maryland

If you're interested, ... hurry, Nov. 1 deadline ...
    Your title says "financial aid." That suggests need-based aid. The essay prompt also suggests that the award is based on financial need.

Are you applying for merit scholarships? Is this a scholarship app? If so, that's different.