Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Purdue , Maryland, South California, North Carolina

Khushboo1988Khushboo1988 Posts: 9Registered User New Member
Hello , I have applied for following graduate schools ...
Purdue univ
Univ of Maryland, college park
Univ of South California
North California State Univ

Do dese colleges give financial aids n scholarships ??? My Gre score is 1280 (740 in quant, 540 in verbal ) n B.tech 86% .. Am i eligible for d aid ???
Post edited by Khushboo1988 on

Replies to: Purdue , Maryland, South California, North Carolina

• thumper1thumper1 Posts: 36,877Registered User Senior Member
    Graduate school financial aid is usually given in the form of merit aid based on what you are bringing to the program. It comes in the form of grants, scholarships, assistantships, sometimes work/study, and Stafford loans. Sometimes students with assistantships or scholarships also get aid reduced to the instate rate (sounds like you will need that somewhere as you can't possibly be an in state resident at all of the places on your list).

Most grad school financial aid awards are determined by the departments...in other words, if you are applying as a biology grad student, THAT department would make assistantship, scholarship or grant recommendations.

Financial aid for grad students is NOT the same as for undergrads. The only federally funded monies,I believe, are Stafford loans, and sometimes Work Study (some schools do not have work study for grad students).
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,328Registered User Senior Member
    Are you an international? If so, then you won't be eligible for most need-based FA.

Thumper is right, money for grad school from colleges is mostly merit-based.
  • Khushboo1988Khushboo1988 Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    Yes , i am an international . On the basis of my scores Sir, do i stand a chance of getting into any of the above universities ??? Thank you Sir for the info.
  • WayOutWestMomWayOutWestMom Posts: 6,519Registered User Senior Member
    Scores only play a minor role in getting accepted in grad school. Your undergrad GPA in your major and letters of recommendations from your professors/research advisors play a much larger role in getting accepted into grad school than GRE scores. Also it's quite important that your area of special interest/specialization is congruent with the areas that the grad dept/faculty does research in.
    So, with this above score how good a chance i stand for the above universities ???
    Also please let me know any universities you would suggest considering my score ???
    My Gre score is 1280 ( quant 740, verbal 540 ) n i have an aggregate of 86% in Btech ( till 6th sem ) with no back logs. I havent still given TOEFL .
    What is South California?

Is your major Bio Tech? or what?

I don't know if any of us can really answer your questions. I think you need to ask the colleges that you're interested in.
    University of South California ( Graduate school )

No, i am from d electrical engineering department . I have checked these colleges do have my area of interest courses (image processing, control systems, digital electronics etc etc).
    Can i get in touch somehow with some seniors of these colleges ?? I want to know if my score is Good enough or do i need to give Gre again. Any contacts ???
    You mean University of Southern California....it's not called "South California"

As for getting in touch with seniors...you'll have to visit their forums and see if any are posting. The school isn't going to give you their names and contact info.
  • itsme123itsme123 Posts: 1,108Registered User Senior Member
    Grad school $$ in terms of research/teaching studentships are available on a competitive basis, given teh applicant pool in a given year and/or department and project needs.

most schools do not give assistantships at MS level; only at PhD level. i have a feeling that you are seeking MS. so teh chances of you getting $ is very limited.

you seem to have been fixated on GRE scores. they are but one of many criteria. as said previously, your gpa, BS institutional merit, prof. recommendation, research experience/aptitude etc. are far more important. if all else remain the same, your GRE score may figure in, and your GRE scores will NOT break any ties.

the schools you have picked are all fairly well-known for engineering. there are number of other schools -- almost all public universities offer EE program. you are well advised to do some additional research before spending lot on too many colleges. depending on grades, you may not even get admitted into your list of schools.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 36,877Registered User Senior Member
    You need to contact the schools to which you are applying. If you are applying as a bioengineering major, you need to ask the folks in THAT department what kinds of graduate aid would be available.

Your GRE score really is going to be used for admissions only. Your recommendations, undergrad GPA, any special skills you might have, and any honors or awards you might have in your field will be considered for grad school funding (assistantships, scholarships, grants, etc).

YOU need to make the contacts with the schools. That is the only way to know what they have to offer AND how to go about applying for these awards AND if you are eligible to receive them.

Grad school financial aid is NOT done the same way as undergrad. It is far more individualized...done by departments in terms of who they want for certain jobs.

I don't think anyone here can answer your question about how much grad school aid you might or might not receive. The schools would be better suited to do that.