Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

FAFSA & PIN / Parent name different from SSN

123469123469 Posts: 18Registered User New Member
Happy New Year!

I (parent) reside overseas. My US SSN has my name listed as
Middlename + Lastname. This is the way I have been filing my
US tax returns. Overseas, I use the name, Firstname + Middlename + Lastname.

I just applied for a parent FAFSA PIN. Along with my SSN, I entered my name as Firstname + Lastname (rather than Middlename + Lastname).

Will this cause any issues in getting my FAFSA PIN? If so, what do I do?
What issues should I anticipate in the processing of FAFSA by colleges due to this name confusion issue? (I intend my mentioning my two names wherever I can)

Thank you for your replies!
Post edited by 123469 on

Replies to: FAFSA & PIN / Parent name different from SSN

• sk8rmomsk8rmom Posts: 5,746Registered User Senior Member
    Since the FAFSA PIN is verified by checking the name and SSN against official records, I believe you could have a problem. Not sure what the remedy is...but, if you click on the "Contact" tab, there should be a phone number and/or email to get advice. I'd probably try reapplying using the name that's on your SS card only! If you wish to use a different name, contact the SS Administration and do an official name change first.
  • 123469123469 Posts: 18Registered User New Member
    Thank you.
    I reapplied using the name on my SSN card. I got a message saying I already have applied, and a SSN verification is awaited (per the wrong name entered).

I clicked on the contact site, and have emailed them the situation.
    [Unable to speak with anyone as it is sunday today]. Let us wait and see.
    Validation by SSA is done using last name, DOB etc. So the different first name went through. I was able to go back in and correct it also.
    The application seems to be well thought through for this situation.
    Thanks!
  • sk8rmomsk8rmom Posts: 5,746Registered User Senior Member
    That's good news...thanks for letting us know!
    My pleasure! :)
    Hope the post will help someone else downstream who may face a similar dilemma.