Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Which prestigious schools give out the most grants?

GetMeIntoSkoolGetMeIntoSkool Posts: 15Registered User New Member
I am looking for schools that give quantum grants to their accepted students and schools that arent ridiculously hard to get into. I got an 1790 on my SAT's. So obviously not Harvard or Yale.

Any suggestions welcome!!

Thank you all.
Post edited by GetMeIntoSkool on

Replies to: Which prestigious schools give out the most grants?

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 59,940Registered User Senior Member
    Typically the schools that can afford to give big grants are the ones that are harder to get into and require strong stats.

Also, a student has to qualify for grants. Schools that give big grants do not give them to people that don't qualify.

What state are you in?

Is your family low income? Do you have a non-custodial parent?
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 35,030Registered User Senior Member
    I would suggest that you do a search here for a thread by Momfromtexas...what I learned about full ride scholarships..or something like that. While the thread is a bit old, and the school info old too...the strategies and ideas are very very helpful

You need to look for a college where your application will stand out...in other words...you need to be at the tippy top of their applicant pool to get the most significant merit aid.

"Presitigious" is a very relative term. Both of my kids thought their schools were mighty excellent. DD's school is one that no one in these parts had even heard of. I would urge you NOT to get "hung up" on the prestige factor. Better to find a school that has programs that are of interest to you, a school in a location that you like, and a school that you feel you would like to attend AND can afford to attend.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Posts: 24,043Registered User Senior Member
    You will have the best chance of getting merit awards from those schools where you are among their best students. If you are eligible for financial aid, look for the schools where you have a decent chance for acceptance and that meet close to 100% of need.
  • blue2152001blue2152001 Posts: 182Registered User Junior Member
    Hey if you're a girl what about a place like Smith or Bryn Mar. I know Smith is test optional and they do meet 100% of need (but with loans)
  • GetMeIntoSkoolGetMeIntoSkool Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    I am from a family of low income. According to my fafsa, my parents will be able to contribute $800 this year. I am looking for schools that meet 100% of financial need (hopefully more grants than loans). I reside in MA and I am male. Thanks guys!
    Are you a senior or junior?

If you're a senior, where have you already applied?

If you're a junior, then do you know if your state also gives grants to low income kids? If so, you probably would qualify.

If you would get state aid and federal aid, then one of your state schools may end up being your most affordable choices. Or, perhaps a generous LAC that wants a lot more boys. Your problem is going to be your SAT. Unless you can raise your score, you may not get accepted to the privates that give big aid.

What is your GPA? What it the breakdown of your SAT (and will you retest? If so, take the ACT as well)
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,653Super Moderator Senior Member
    based on the information in your other post (transfer student, 2.61 gpa) your chances for getting into a school that meets 100% demonstrated need with large amounts of grant aid very small. Hofstra & American do not meet 100% demonstrated need and do not give large amounts of grant aid.
    I am a transfer student
    You really should have provided that info in your first post. Being a transfer student with modest stats are very important factors.

Transfer students usually get the least amount of aid. Your stats will not be an incentive for schools to give you their money.

your most affordable choice will likely be a state univ that you can commute to. With Pell and a 7500 student loan, and perhaps a state grant (does your state do grants?), you should have costs covered.
    Yes I believe MA does grants, however, schools like American (which I did get accepted too, but not answer of FA yet) do you think American will give a lot of FA?
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 35,030Registered User Senior Member
    American is a very expensive college. They do not guarantee to meet full need of accepted students. You will just have to wait to see what their financial aid package looks like. There is no way to predict.
  • thepoptartthepoptart Posts: 51Registered User Junior Member
    I agree with thumper1. I am a senior, also low income (EFC=0000) lol and i was accepted to American with a 17, 500 grant + work study. Rest in pell grant and loans =/ cost of tuition is about $50k. so yea, financial aid isn't exactly the greatest, but it seems like they ARE willing to help you find resources to pay for school. Thats just my take tho ! lol