Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Letter asking for reconsideration, what to include?

emah24emah24 Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
I am composing a letter to what is my daughters first choice, after the two schools she is waiting listed to. It is the school she has loved since stepping foot on the campus almost a year ago. It would be what we considered her safety, and the two waiting lists were both in the low reach category. She got in to the first choice school and was offered the top merit scholarship available, travel grant for being out of state, grants, loans, and work study. She is also invited into the honors program. The amount left for our family to contribute is way above what we can possibly contribute due to long term unemployment of my husband due to chronic depression and unemployment. He has made long strides and is attempting to reenter the work force. We have pretty much had to completely empty our savings to live and to cover cobra insurance. Anyway, I want to ask others what needs to be included in a letter to financial aid when asking for reconsideration/reevaluation. Thank you.
Post edited by emah24 on

Replies to: Letter asking for reconsideration, what to include?

• thumper1thumper1 Posts: 35,812Registered User Senior Member
    She got in to the first choice school and was offered the top merit scholarship available, travel grant for being out of state, grants, loans, and work study. She is also invited into the honors program.

Is this for University of Connecticut as an OOS student?

Regardless...you need to state the facts. Explain your family's situation and be prepared to provide documentation of any money spent, savings depleted etc. You can add that this is your daughter's top choice school and she will attend if the finances make it possible.

BUT remember, she is an OOS student. She has already received a lot more money than most students receive in financial aid from this institution. They do not guarantee to meet full need. They might not increase your aid...just be prepared for that possibility.
  • emah24emah24 Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
    I am not referring to University of Connecticut in my post. We are in state and they actually gave her a very nice package, but she is not really interested in going there. Actually she only applied there and to Eastern CT at my insistance.
    The letter I have written is very honest and probably discloses alot of our private lives but since I am asking for their financial assistance, I felt it necessary. I know they do not promise to meet full EFC, but another private school similar in size and make up, gave a much better package. It does not hurt to ask, the worse they can do is say no.
  • midwstmommidwstmom Posts: 206Registered User Junior Member
    Will the letter asking for reconsideration come from you or your daughter? I understand that you're sharing some private information which your daughter may not even be fully aware of or able to express because of your situation. I'm just wondering which would be more appropriate. I'm new at this and would like to hear from others when parents should initiate/communicate. Please don't read this as a judgment; it's not. :)
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,635Registered User Senior Member
    When it comes to financial matters, it's fine for parents to do the communications...because, as you said, it often is dealing with very personal situations which a child can't really communicate or even know about in detail.

Can you provide the COA breakdown for the school?

Tuition/fees
    room
    board
    books
    travel
    Personal

And, then provide the breakdown of aid.

Grants (including Pell)
    merit scholarship(s)
    loans
    work-study

How much can your D contribute from a summer job?

How much can you contribute?

Sometimes COA's are padded, so we might be able to figure out how much more is exactly needed.
  • midwstmommidwstmom Posts: 206Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks mom2, that's good to know. Sorry emah to take it a little off track.