Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

School is asking for information I don't have to tell

theReachtheReach Posts: 1,653Registered User Member
My college has requested verification of my financial information in order to get this year's aid. One form asks for verification of my assets. However, on the FAFSA I qualified for the simplified needs test, so I didn't have to report my assets on the FAFSA. Should I just say "N/A"?
Post edited by theReach on

Replies to: School is asking for information I don't have to tell

• plumazulplumazul Posts: 1,530Registered User Senior Member
    Do you only have Federal FA?
  • annoyingdadannoyingdad Posts: 1,897Registered User Senior Member
    If this is the school's institutional aid you're seeking, they can ask for anything. It's irrelevant what you put on the FAFSA. The FAFSA only determines federal aid.
  • theReachtheReach Posts: 1,653Registered User Member
    But isn't verification meant to make sure I didn't put misleading information on the FAFSA? I didn't have to report my assets and tax deferred pension plans due to simplified needs, wouldn't my financial aid office see that as a discrepancy when I report all these numbers to them that were $0 on the FAFSA?

As a side note, I'm getting state Cal grant aid as well as federal aid.
  • 'rentof2'rentof2 Posts: 4,327Registered User Senior Member
    The information may not be required for gov't aid, but if the college is also giving your some institutional aid, they can ask for any verification they want for that. It won't affect your FAFSA.
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 14,864Registered User Senior Member
    Should I just say "N/A"?
    I would not recommend that. When they are verifying they can ask for any information they think they need to verify your data. If you don't provide the info asked for then you will not get any aid. If you are unsure if you really need to provide the data then contact them and ask.
    As a side note, I'm getting state Cal grant aid as well as federal aid.
    It is fairly unusual to be asked for asset information when you are being verified (well we have never been asked for asset information and we have been verified numerous times). I think it is probably because of the calgrant. Calgrant eligibility is based on both income and assets. They probably require your assets to determine if you are eligible for Calgrant. (In our state we are required to report asset info even when we are eligible for simplified needs - I had always assumed CA required that as well, as there is an asset cut off for calgrant eligibility).

FYI, Tax deferred pension savings plans are not reported on FAFSA even if you don't have simplified needs. I don't know if they impact Calgrant (not from CA).
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 57,748Registered User Senior Member
    Did this school ask you to fill out CSS Profile or ask you to fill out their own FA paperwork?

Either way....the school is probably just determining whether they should give you any institutional aid. They probably know that there have been people who qualify for simplified means that have a lot of assets, so they don't want to give those students their limited aid.
  • momofthreeboysmomofthreeboys Posts: 10,854Registered User Senior Member
    I would guess Swimcats is correct, if Cal Grant takes into consideration both income and assets and skip logic allowed you to skip this for federal aid then you will need to submit the complete information for any Cal Grant dollars. If you accurately filled out the FAFSA and the skip logic applied then it should not change your federal aid qualifications. FAFSA is used only for distribution of federal aid dollars.
  • jbournejbourne Posts: 429Registered User Member
    I found this when researching Cal Grants last year. I'm not sure what the document is, but it looks like it is a Q&A for financial aid offices. It sounds like the schools do not need
    to verify assets for people who used the simplified needs test.
    http://www.csac.ca.gov/secured/specialalerts/2010/CSAC_Q&A_on_use_of_Assets_Rev.pdf

Question 4:
    What about program integrity to ensure only eligible students are receiving Cal Grant awards? Will institutions need to check asset amounts for all Cal Grant recipients every year? May we get rid of this requirement for our very needy students since the U.S. Department of Education doesn’t require it?
    Answer for Question 4:
    If the student was not required to submit parent or student assets, verification of assets for Cal Grant purposes should not be performed. This is in compliance with federal and state law. However, institutions performing verification for institutional aid eligibility purposes may verify any data they receive.
    Then its probably the $500 dollars my school is offering as aid that's causing them to verify assets? I got over $10,000 in aid from my school last year and I didn't have to verify assets; I qualified for simplified needs last year as well.
  • LasMaLasMa Posts: 6,594Registered User Senior Member
    They gave you $10K last year, and they're only offering $500 this year?
  • KenderKender Posts: 1,114Registered User Senior Member
    LasMa:
    The OP likely has Cal Grant B. Based on previous posts, looks like he's a freshman this year. Cal Grant B officially does not have tuition/fee assistance the freshman year, but the UCs guarantee through the Blue&Gold promise that this amount (systemwide fees) will be covered through a combination of grants and scholarships. The $10k makes perfect sense as systemwide fees were $10,302. The drop to $500 is likely in relation to the tuition/fee assistance kicking in for the OP's second/sophomore year.
  • KenderKender Posts: 1,114Registered User Senior Member
    Whoops, forgot to include this. Sorry for the double post. Realized this after 20 minutes had passed.

theReach:
    I can find nothing that says you have to or you don't have to list assets on the verification when skip logic was in effect. However, there should be no harm in including it since Cal Grant renewal is different than qualifying for it in the first place. You only need:
    • You must have financial need of at least $100 for the renewal year,
    • You must have filed a current year FAFSA, listing your school of attendance,
    • You must be attending a participating Cal Grant school,
    • You must have remaining Cal Grant eligibility, and,
    • CSAC must have received either a request for payment for all terms or a leave of absence (LOA) request.
    Source: http://www.csac.ca.gov/pubs/forms/grnt_frm/ImportantFactsAboutYourRenewalCalGrant.pdf

Honestly, I'd just report the assets. It will still be excluded from your EFC and income and asset ceilings are no longer considered with renewals (just if you have at least $100 worth of need). You could also ask UCD's (based on your previous posts, it looks like this is where you currently attend; my apologies if I am mistaken) financial aid office if you have to include assets if skip logic occurred. I've searched and can't find anything that states either way.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 32,397Registered User Senior Member
    One form asks for verification of my assets. However, on the FAFSA I qualified for the simplified needs test, so I didn't have to report my assets on the FAFSA. Should I just say "N/A"?

You need to send them what they requested and you need to do it ASAP. If the school requested asset information, you need to send it to them. It is not N/A...the school ASKED for that info.

Get it done soon because until your verification is complete, your financial aid award will not be finalized.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Posts: 12,285Super Moderator Senior Member
    You don't have to send anything. However, if you don't, the college will not process your financial aid. Your call.
    @Kender
    Correct on everything! My Cal Grant B kicked in this year and covered the 10k Davis gave me last year as a grant.

My family barely has any assets, so I will report them to my school. I was just wondering if simplified needs applied here. Two more questions: how will they verify these asset numbers? Since I gave no asset information on the FAFSA. And do I report tax deferred pensions to my school as well? (Also blank on FAFSA due to simplified needs). I'm assuming yes.