Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Northern midwest colleges - large merit based scholarships

eryic1eryic1 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
I'm looking for colleges with large merit based scholarships, hoping but not banking on a full ride (I realize this is unrealistic, but it'd be nice right?) Anyway my GPA isn't that great (3.7) but my ACT was a 31 and I've only took it once, with no studying.... I'm taking it again looking/hoping to improve with some preparation. I've applied and been accepted at the college of St. Scholastica in Duluth, MN and qualified for the most merit based scholarships they have, at 16,500 a year out of about 30,000. Would there be anywhere I would have a good chance of getting a full ride in the Minneapolis area, or some decent scholarships? Maybe not even the MPLS area but somewhere near Minnesota as a whole? Thanks in advance for the help!
Post edited by eryic1 on

Replies to: Northern midwest colleges - large merit based scholarships

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Posts: 17,975Super Moderator Senior Member
    What about U Minnesota. Only $23K COA and some scholarships available. University-Wide Scholarships
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 59,969Registered User Senior Member
    at the college of St. Scholastica in Duluth, MN and qualified for the most merit based scholarships they have, at 16,500 a year out of about 30,000

???

Unless you can commute to this campus, Scholastica's COA is a lot more than $30k per year. The COA is more like

tuition and fees: $29,506
    Room and board: $7,716
    Books and supplies: $1,100
    Personal expenses and transporation: $1,700
    COA.....about..$41,000 - 16,500 merit = about $24,500 for your share.

At the above rate, UMinn-Twin Cities is a better deal at a little less cost...and probably a better school.

what is your major?
  • eryic1eryic1 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    I was simply going off tuition and fees, not overall cost. I live within about 20 minutes so I don't think I would live on campus. And I'm currently undecided :/