Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Taxes done - Do we have to redo Fafsa?

kjcphmomkjcphmom Posts: 731Registered User Member
Before the 2/15 deadlines for some of the schools, my husband did our taxes so he could get the numbers for the FAFSA. He just redid it more carefully using the American Opp. Credit etc. and the numbers are a little different (not a whole lot though.) S1's school requires it for scholarship purposes, although we have not used it for financial aid. S2 is a hs senior so the FAFSA has been sent to his prospective schools, although again we probably won't use it for financial aid purposes. Does he have to redo and resend it?
Post edited by kjcphmom on

Replies to: Taxes done - Do we have to redo Fafsa?

• njcdmomnjcdmom Posts: 98Registered User Junior Member
    My advice---update your fafsa and re-submit. It's easy to do, and you'll want to the schools to have the most up to date info. Even if you do not need fin aid now, you might in the future and you'll want the schools to have an accurate paper trail.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,381Registered User Senior Member
    is it a big deal to update and have resent???

Can't the new numbers be imported?

Hopefully others can respond, but I would think it would take less time to just update then it would to make/read a thread about the issue.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,383Registered User Senior Member
    All you have to do is log into the appropriate FAFSA account, and follow the instructions for updating. One of the options for indicating the tax file status is "just filed" or words to that effect. You choose that if you think your tax info may not be retrievable yet.
  • kjcphmomkjcphmom Posts: 731Registered User Member
    Thanks for the info - I will let my husband know what he needs to do.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 36,939Registered User Senior Member
    It will take you less than five minutes to update the fields related to your 2011 taxes, AND change to "taxes completed". Until you do that, your financial aid departments will not be sure that you have accurate numbers.