Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Why do I have a payment request from a university I do not attend?

adanac33adanac33 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Financial Aid & Scholarships
I have an email from a university that I do not attend, although i did apply to it over a year ago ( I am a sophmore), and the official says that a federal loan is past due and as a result, its been put on my credit history.

I am confused because of the fact that this email was sent by a university I never took classes at. Can anyone think of why this happened?
Post edited by adanac33 on

Replies to: Why do I have a payment request from a university I do not attend?

• adanac33adanac33 Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    No, as far as I can recall, I attended a scholarship competition and that is it. I never went through a class sign up period
  • kathieh1kathieh1 Posts: 652Registered User Member
    You could have a problem if the school applied for financial aid on your behalf and got it.. sounds like something an unscrupulous for profit school might do. If federal loans were involved I'd get right on it and report them if something seems fishy. COuld the scholarship competition have been a scam? Is this a reputable school?
    woah that is scary, I'll have to proceed with caution then. Currently, I receive a decent amount of financial aid from the federal government for the university I currently attend. Wouldn't the government have red flags in place if something like double loans happens?

The college has thousands of students and I believe it is reputable. It is called Grand Valley State University

how do i clear up this issue? Any recommendations?
  • laplatinumlaplatinum Posts: 526Registered User Member
    I have received emails from supposedly legitimate organizations asking for all sorts of personal information, but they are actually phishing scams. You need to not disclose any personal information to the so-called college and call them on Monday--the FA office or whatever--and get the low down. Based on what institution you said it is, their FA office information is on this page: Financial Aid - Grand Valley State University Don't let up until you find the proper office to deal with your problem.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Posts: 11,996Registered User Senior Member
    Email, not in writing? Call the school. Agree it sounds like a phishing scam from another party.

If the school that supposedly billed has no record, you are likely ok, but also call the fed loan folks and get direction.
    As I understand from another poster more familiar with specifics, colleges have to take steps to verify to the govt that you are enrolled, before loans come through to them. This sounds like a general scam meant to scare you into some payment or giving bank info. But, do check with both the school and the feds. One or both may want you to make a report- which you should.
  • kathieh1kathieh1 Posts: 652Registered User Member
    It could just be an honest mistake. Call the financial aid office at the verified to exist school - get their info online not through the email you received. Don't give out YOUR personal info - just ask questions and see what you can find out. PRobably just an error in sending out the notice. Maybe someone has a similar name to yours. That is a legit State University at least.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,354Registered User Senior Member
    You attended another school, right? You're still atending, right?

Did you use student loans at that school?

Since a student can only get Fed loans for one school (the full time school) at a time, whatever that other school did was wrong, and I doubt you could be held responsible.

Secondly, if you're still in school, then you couldn't yet owe payments on fed student loans, either.

I think there's been a mistake. Maybe another student with your same name attended the school and took out loans.

besides, I don't think SCHOOLS are the ones who contact students when loans are past due ...that seems odd.

As mentioned above, this sounds like a scam (not from the university). Schools don't contact students if they're behind with loan payments (I know, you're not behind).
  • mathmomvtmathmomvt Posts: 4,142Registered User Senior Member
    My first thought was also phishing. I think it's not a legitimate email.
    I looked at the university's website and the email is a valid address from a university collection official. what do you think about this?
    It can still be fake.

Scams will "use" the cover of legit email addresses to make them seem real. The emails aren't really from that person.
  • mathmomvtmathmomvt Posts: 4,142Registered User Senior Member
    Call the university in the morning. Unless you or sophisticated at reading email headers, you could be looking at a faked "From:" address.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Posts: 11,996Registered User Senior Member
    Mom2, GVSU does state that past due loans would be sent to a collections agency. It is so unusual to have an email of this sort come from the college.

GVSU does have a collections dept- but you have to go through the college's own web site to find it, not follow links in the troubling email.

OP. good luck and please let us know.
    But how can a fed student loan be "past due" if the student is still in school?

Also, the student likely got student fed aid at the school she attended. A student can't get fed aid at 2 schools at the same time. So, that's why I think this is fake.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,375Registered User Senior Member
    adanac33,

Look up the phone number on the GVSU website, and call them. Get this from the original GVSU website - or even get it by calling 411. Don't use any of the links in the email that was sent to you in case it is fake.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 36,911Registered User Senior Member
    Scammers do a great job of making their email addresses look like the ones they are pretending to be.

Call Grand Valley State and talk to them. Sounds like a mistake to me. DO NOT respond to that email.