Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to get through college ALONE

wfergus18wfergus18 Posts: 29Registered User New Member
I would like to know how to get through college alone, I know it can get very though and difficult but its the only thing I can do.

I'm currently in 10th grade, and my father is 75 years old when the life expectancy here is 70 of years, he pays for everything in the house, and my mother is currently unemployed. our average annual income is of 36000 dollars. Even if my mother gets a job, I can't count on her, because I can notice she has a very little interest for me.

I would really like to attend Northwestern University, and I know it can get heavy on requirements because its a very good university.

As a student on his own, what plans or offers can colleges and universities offer to us. If not, what could be a possible solution to my situation?

P.D. I have American Citizenship

also, I don't know whether this is the right section to post this or not. If not, please tell me which is.
Post edited by wfergus18 on

Replies to: How to get through college ALONE

• happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 18,813Registered User Senior Member
    Are you in the US, or outside the US?
  • wfergus18wfergus18 Posts: 29Registered User New Member
    Outside, I have us citizenship and im planning to study in the U.S.
    which makes it more difficult for me to do this by my own
  • teachandmomteachandmom Posts: 1,211Registered User Senior Member
    Well, the fact is, you are not alone. You have a father, and a mother. Colleges will want to know about both, if you live with both. If they don't want to contribute to your college expenses, that is unfortunate, but not unheard of. Colleges are going to expect someone to pay your bills. Income and assets all come into play, and will be considered. You may have to consider attending a school closer to home that will not cost as much.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 18,813Registered User Senior Member
    Start by reading through everything at EducationUSA | Study Abroad, Student Visa, University Fairs, College Applications and Study in the U.S. / America. That will help you understand how college admission works here. If your parents weren't educated in the US, they will learn a lot there too. Then follow the links to find the Advising Center closest to where you live. The counselors there are expert at helping students educated in the country where you are now find good places to study in the US. If none of them have worked with a US citizen lately, they have colleagues in other offices who have.

You will be able to file the FAFSA, and you are eligible for federally determined need-based aid. That is a good thing. You also don't have any restrictions on where you can work. In some states it is possible to establish residence for in-state tuition and fees on your own. You would need to move to that state, find a job, and support yourself for a certain period of time. This is not possible in every state. Read the university websites to find out what their policies are.

The really big money for your education depends on your grades and your ACT/SAT scores. If those are good enough you might qualify for a full scholarship somewhere. There are several threads in this forum on merit-based scholarships, read through those for ideas.

There are a number of US citizens abroad who are active here at CC. When I can get to the other computer, I will send you a PM with some of their usernames. You can look for their threads, to get even more ideas.

Hang in there. You are not alone!