Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

1st time user of fafsa and confused on distribution money usage.

1silentwar1silentwar Posts: 4Registered User New Member
Hi I'm attending college in riverside and I'm just got my debit card from fafsa with I little over 2 grand, how long is this money supose last? Will I recieve more? If so til when? do I recieve this amost every semester? I'm one lost student. Any help would be great! Thanks
Post edited by 1silentwar on

Replies to: 1st time user of fafsa and confused on distribution money usage.

• thumper1thumper1 Posts: 37,106Registered User Senior Member
    You got a debit card from FAFSA? Please explain. FAFSA is a financial aid form used to determine eligibility for federally funded need based aid. FAFSA doesn't "give" money.

Is this refund money from the Pell grant that is in excess of your costs to the college?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,599Registered User Senior Member
    This student's school may give leftover funds on a debit card. The student may be wrongly thinking that FAFSA provided the card.

1silent....If you have leftover funds each semester, and it's your school's policy to provide those funds on a debit card,, then you'll get it. The amount may vary depending on the number of classes you take, your fees, etc.

Do you attend a CC? Did you get a Pell Grant and/or student loan?
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,881Super Moderator Senior Member
    My recommendation is that you ration out your money to meet your transportation expenses until the end of the year and that you have start up cost to take you into the next term until you get your spring distribution.
  • 1silentwar1silentwar Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    Yes I attend a CC in norco, ca and its my pell grant I'm Sorry its a financial aid debit card from my prop grant from fafsa to my understanding the debit card is new. So this money should last until spring semester?
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 37,106Registered User Senior Member
    You should be able to check with your college financial aid office to find out what your award is for the next semester (if it's not already ON your student link). Agree with Sybbie, parcel out this money carefully so that you have enough to last until your next disbursement.

Re: "every semester"...you will have to reapply for financial aid for the 2013-2014 school year. What you are getting this year is for this year only.
    Thanks everyone it helped a lot. Last question if I don't use all the money available will they take it back after each distribution?
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,881Super Moderator Senior Member
    Once they distribute the money, they will not take it back unless they distributed it to you in error . Even then they would tell you.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,599Registered User Senior Member
    If you qualify for full Pell (5550 per year), and you got more than $2k on your debit card, then you must have gotten other aid as well because your CCC tuition would have been deducted first.
    Thanks everyone! It's a great help.