Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Mid-Year FAFSA

ChavvyChavvy Posts: 5Registered User New Member
At my current university I have all of my tuition covered. Because of that I didn't file a FAFSA this year and have paid for any other fees and costs personally without a loan. I decided to transfer and hope to start at my new university in the spring '13 semester.

Since I haven't filed a FAFSA, can I apply late and get anything from it? Even a loan? I've looked around and everything with regards to transfers and mid-year FAFSA problems are for people that have already applied and need to update their information, or need to have their new school listed under a FAFSA that was already applied for.

Thanks!
Post edited by Chavvy on

Replies to: Mid-Year FAFSA

• thumper1thumper1 Posts: 38,347Registered User Senior Member
    You can submit your FAFSA to your new school. By doing so, you would be eligible for the Direct Loan amount for your year in school...freshmen $5500, soph $6500. I'm not sure whether you would get the whole thing..or just half. Since you didn't take that loan yet, maybe the whole thing....someone will have to verify this.

I do have to ask...if your costs are covered where you are, why are you considering transferring mid year? It is highly unlikely you will get that type of offer as a mid year transfer student.
  • ChavvyChavvy Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    I get that question a lot. Right now I commute from home, have my full tuition covered and all I have to pay are lab fees and books. It's a good private university, but where I'm transferring is a top public school (it's listed as a public ivy) and has the major I want (it's the only school in my state that does, and it is a degree that offers a good ROI and that I really enjoy). Both of my parents are alumni from there and we visit campus a lot for athletic events. It was my top choice coming out of high school, and even though I had the grades and extra-curriculars to be admitted, I didn't feel that I was ready to handle the kind of work load they had. So, I went to a very low cost public university near me to take some classes and figure out what I wanted to do (my major changed around 7 times before I finally found what I love), but I got sick and had to drop out from there until I recovered. Then I started going to a community college to get my brain back in the learning mode after being out of school for a little while, transferred to where I am now and have my GPA at a good level in some harder classes and I feel I'm ready to take on a more difficult school and work towards that degree.

And that's my life story. Since I finished this semester, I am just at sophomore status and figure now is as good of a time as any.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 64,036Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, can get the full loan (5500), even if you're staring in the spring since you didn't get any for fall.

So...be aware that the $5500 you get for Spring semester could give you a false impression of affordability for NEXT year. Next year, you will get $6500, but it will be split in HALF....only 3250 per semester...so be aware of that.