Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Colleges with low cost and high financial aid for international students

CFCtilliDieCFCtilliDie Posts: 11Registered User New Member
Can I have the list of some colleges that have LOW TUITION cost and provide international students with reasonable financial aids and/or scholarships [based upon their academic, SAT/ACT scores and other stuffs]?
I am looking for a 4-year Undergraduate Bachelor's Program.

The OVERALL COST of attendance (tuition, books and boards, housing) I am looking for is around the range of (15-30)K per year excluding the aids, of course.
Post edited by CFCtilliDie on

Replies to: Colleges with low cost and high financial aid for international students

• charlieschmcharlieschm Posts: 4,282Registered User Senior Member
    York College of Pennsylvania is a private college that has the most reasonable tuition in the northeast US. It is 16K a year for tuition and fees, plus 9K for room and board. They have lots of new residence halls, a great gym and a new business building is under construction. They also offer merit aid. I don't know about their aid policies for international students, but I assume they would be eligible for the merit aid at a minimum.
  • CFCtilliDieCFCtilliDie Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    Thanks for the reply. The college doesn't assist international students in any way financially. The following is from the college's site:

"International students must be financially independent and capable of bearing all the costs associated with attending York College of Pennsylvania as the college does not have scholarships or financial aid available to assist foreign students."

Any other colleges you have in mind??
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom Posts: 5,960Registered User Senior Member
    CFCtilliDie - DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!!

(1) In this forum, do a search for all thread titles that include the word "international."
    (2) Go to the International Students forum and search there (and in the specific sub-forum for your country) for thread titles containing the phrase "financial aid."

You are not the first international student to have asked the same (or a similar) question, so why don't you look and see what answers your predecessors came up with?

Honestly, I'd guess that even a Google search would net you a wealth of information . . . have you tried that? Please, do your own research!
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,457Registered User Senior Member
    What are your test scores and GPA?

If you apply NOW (scholarship deadline soon!), and you have the required stats, then The University of Alabama would give you a large merit scholarship and your remaining costs would be within your budget.

If apply by Dec 1st (submit both school app and scholarship app), and you have:

ACT 32+ or SAT Math + CR 1400+ (from one sitting), and a 3.5+ GPA, then you'd get free tuition for 4 years...Value about $100,000

ACT 30/31 or SAT Math + CR 1330-1390 (from one sitting), and a 3.5 GPA, then you'd get a 2/3 tuition scholarship for 4 years.....Value about $70,000

Also, if you major in Engineering or Computer Science, there are additional scholarships.
    I just got my SAT results and it's not so good.
    GOT 1800 overall [CR-540]

I am appearing for SAT Subject Tests this December.

I am applying for Engineering for fall 2013.
    I need some colleges that will provide me with very high financial aids. I can't afford more than 2K/yr.
    And, of course, I am an International Student.

With your stats, it is highly unlikely that you'd get enough aid at any school. If you can only pay $2k per year, there really isn't a school here for you. Int'l travel alone will cost you $2k per year. That would mean that you'd need a total free ride here (including personal expenses, insurance, etc), and that's not likely going to happen.

I know it's disappointing, but think about it. There are millions and millions of int'ls out there who would love to come to the US to study. If there were the means for those with "just good" test scores to come here and get a lot of financial aid, millions would come here.
  • CTTCCTTC Posts: 1,342Registered User Senior Member
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom Posts: 5,960Registered User Senior Member
    Good catch, CTTC - I missed that!
    Common sense should tell an int'l that if big aid was available to int'l students with "good but not top stats" then the US would be absolutely bombarded with a gazillion int'l kids coming to eat, drink, sleep and get educated on US college money. That's not happening.
    I have done my own research. And I know my list is missing a lot of colleges. Many of the colleges that I have short-listed are pretty expensive. And for the SAT scores, I am again appearing for the SAT reasoning test. Moreover, I wanted this thread to be useful to others and not necessarily for me only.

BTW, the earlier thread was about my SAT score and it's chances.
    For the record, my GPA's 2.7. I just ruined my SATs that's all.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,391Registered User Senior Member
    What can you pay each year? Subtract $12,000 from that for your housing, meals, books, transportation and personal expenses, and then run the college matching search engines to find places where tuition and fees are less than that. If you don't care about the part of the country you could end up in, you should find some that fit a total budget of as little as $20,000.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Posts: 24,896Registered User Senior Member
    Look up Momfromtexas in the archives. She has a methodology that may net you some results. I don't know why you are dissing York College as its costs are under your max of $30K. Unless you have a different bottom line cost you are trying to achieve. You do understand that it is very difficult for ANYONE to get college money. Those who are most desirable, with very high stats, tend to get the best awards, but even those students find it difficult to get the awards, and we are talking US citizens here. For a college to pay for international students, they have to be truly outstanding. Many schools look at the international market to GET more money, not PAY it out.
  • annasdadannasdad Posts: 4,825Registered User Senior Member
    Look at Truman State University in Kirksville, MO. Total COA (tuition+fees+room+board) is about $21,000. With your current test scores, you probably would not qualify for merit aid, and AFAIK, they do not offer need-based aid for non-Missouri residents.
    Since the student is an int'l, and his family will ONLY pay $2k and his current stats aren't high, it's unlikely that he'd get the aid he'd need so that he only would have to pay $2k per year.

That would require a total free ride...including personal expenses...so that int'l travel could be paid for with the $2k from parents.

For a college to pay for international students, they have to be truly outstanding. Many schools look at the international market to GET more money, not PAY it out.

Exactly...most int'ls are full payers (or close to it). Even if lucky enough to get a full tuition scholarship, an int'l still has to show that his family will pay about $15k per year....for R&B, books, personal expenses, insurance, etc...otherwise, no visa.