Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Cal Grants Question

andr3wandr3w Posts: 68Registered User Junior Member
hello, i plan on transferring this spring to Chapman Univ (private) and i have a question about Cal Grants. My family is low income and have a EFC of 0. My GPA is roughly around 3.5.
I need some explanation on Cal Grant B. Am i eligible to receive it along with Cal Grant A (9,708)? I heard I get $1551 in my first year and then the price rises each year. So by the time I'm in my junior year I will have an estimate of $9708x2?

Thank you :)

Oh and I'm in CC right now in my sophomore year so I will still be a sophomore in spring semester.
Post edited by andr3w on

Replies to: Cal Grants Question

• dodgersmomdodgersmom Posts: 5,928Registered User Senior Member
    No, you can get CalGrant A or CalGrant B - not both.

For student attending UC schools, the reduced value of CalGrant B is offset during freshman year by a grant from the specific UC the student is attending (For example, a UC-Davis grant), and, in subsequent years, the value of CalGrant B is slightly higher than CalGrant A . . . so CalGrant B is worth more and is, as a result, offered only to higher need kids.

I don't know which of these you'd be eligible for at a private college - but it certainly wouldn't be both!