Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Emory University Imporant

cmidy56cmidy56 Posts: 18Registered User New Member
Hi,

This is a really urgent question so I appreciate all the help I can get.

I am a student with a Canadian citizenship living and studying in the United States (high school). I must make the point clear that I am not an American citizen, nor do I have a green card. I am here on a student visa so I am considered an international student.

I will be applying to Emory ED II and I was wondering if there are any private loans I can receive to pay for my college tuition for Emory University. My parents are not rich so I know they are unable to pay the full tuition of Emory which is close to $60,000; they will be pay to pay a portion of it though (maybe 1/4th of it).

I am quite aware that there are no federal funds available for international students.

I am desperate for a source of financial aid from wherever because Emory is my dream school.

Thanks
Post edited by cmidy56 on

Replies to: Emory University Imporant

• happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,573Registered User Senior Member
    Go to the International Students Forum and track down b@r!um. She is very knowledgeable about aid for internationals.

What are your parents ready, willing, and able to pay? Do you have the grades and test scores to qualify for guaranteed merit-based aid? What is your back up plan if you don't get into, or can't afford your dream school?
  • kelsmomkelsmom Posts: 12,585Super Moderator Senior Member
    You should be able to get some assistance from Canada - at least some loans. I have dealt with Canadian students in the U.S. who have assistance from their government. A quick internet search will yield your province's student aid website.
  • cmidy56cmidy56 Posts: 18Registered User New Member
    Thanks for your replies, happymomof1 and kelsmom.

My parents are willing to pay approximately 15k, not nearly to cover the Emory tuition. I am currently looking for assistance from the Canadian government to fund my education. I hope it works out well.

Do you guys know anything about "OSAP?" I've looked online, but there is only limited information on it.
  • dodgersmomdodgersmom Posts: 5,960Registered User Senior Member
    So a search for "osap" in the Canadian students' forum - I found several posts that mention it. (You might also try searching for "Ontario" . . .)
  • tomofbostontomofboston Posts: 2,170Registered User Senior Member
    It is doubtful that you or your parents will be able to borrow $45,000/year times four. Even if you could, the repayment amounts would be crushing. If you have extraordinary stats, you may get some merit scholarships from Emory.

$180,000 in debt would make Emory a nightmare school, not a dream school.

You could attend McGill or U of Toronto for about $8000/year and get just as good an education.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Posts: 12,585Super Moderator Senior Member
    Yes, I have completed forms for our students who have aid from OSAP. Here is the link: https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal.
    kelsmom, how much aid could I really get from OSAP? I heard somewhere the maximum aid is around 10k a year. I'm just a little overwhelmed by this whole college finances thing. My parents aren't really helping out that much and I'm just trying to see my options.

Also guys, I do have a backup plan just in case Emory doesn't work out. I'm just trying to see if Emory could work out for me. I would love to go there but like you guys said, I will look at Canadian universities like McGill, UofT and UBC.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,934Super Moderator Senior Member
    If your parents can only afford to pay 15k and the most that you will be able to get in a loan is 10K, perhaps you need to rethink applying ED to Emory.
    Ahhh okay, I'll figure it out somehow. I will call OSAP sometime tomorrow to get some answers.

Crossing my fingers this works out.
    I must study for my biology test now. I will check back in a bit.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 37,765Registered User Senior Member
    The grass is always greener! I know some kids here in the U. S. who would love to attend McGill. I hope you are applying to the universities in Canada which would be ever so much more affordable and are fabulous schools.