Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How much $ in Loans can you get??????

AJF2AJF2AJF2AJF2 Posts: 24Registered User New Member
How much money can you get for undergrad and then for say law school? I basically need to put my entire college career on a credit card. I really don't care how much interest I have to pay back my main question is... Can I get it? I'm a non traditional college student at age 26 with a credit score floating around 700. I have owned a home (now sold, living with parents) and a car (paid off) I am finishing my associates at a local community college in May and want to know my options. Ultimate goal is to be a lawyer. Thoughts?

Figure I'll need 30-50 k for undergrad...

then about...

50-100 k for law school
Post edited by AJF2AJF2 on

Replies to: How much $ in Loans can you get??????

• thumper1thumper1 Posts: 35,891Registered User Senior Member
    Unless you have a really good paying job, it will be very hard for you to take out this amount of loan money without a cosigner.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,701Registered User Senior Member
    really don't care how much interest I have to pay back my

Then you don't have the critical thinking skills or logic necessary to become a good lawyer.
  • Iron MaidenIron Maiden Posts: 1,838Registered User Senior Member
    Or apparently the ability to do a simple Google search. Fail.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Posts: 24,330Registered User Senior Member
    I agree with the above posters.
  • annasdadannasdad Posts: 4,825Registered User Senior Member
    You can borrow $7500 each of your junior and senior years through the federal Direct Loan program. If you have a cosigner - or income and assets of your own - you can borrow as much more as your credit situation (and/or your cosigner's) will support.

Since law school is very, very expensive, and the job prospects for newly graduated lawyers is uncertain, I would finish your undergraduate work at the least expensive school available to you.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,182Registered User Senior Member
    You are independent for the FAFSA because of your age. This changes the loan limits to $9,500 freshman, $10,500 sophomore, $12,500 junior and $12,500 senior years. Your aggregate limit for undergraduate work is $57,500. Here's the link: FinAid | Loans | Student Loans

But before you get too excited about the limits, run the repayment calculators FinAid | Calculators and think about how big a chunk the potential debt is going to take out of your income each month.

Since you have held down a job in the past, you may want to plan to complete your degree in a location where you can continue to work at least half-time. Better yet full-time with benefits, while studying part-time. It will take longer to finish your degree(s), true, but you will be in better financial shape when you do finish.