Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Question about legal guardianship (FAFSA)

stevenzuuhstevenzuuh Posts: 3Registered User New Member
hello all thank you for reading this,
i have a question about the legal guardianship question that reads:
"As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you or were you in legal guardianship?"

I am 19 currently,
in Virginia, I WAS in legal guardianship ( I have turned 18 since), the court gave legal guardianship to my sister
so, naturally I put that yes, i was in legal guardianship before turning 18, then
under it said that I am considered an "independent student"
but from my understanding, an independent student doesnt receive support ,
but my parents still support me (send money etc) so im a bit conflicted.

could someone please clear this up for me? Thank you !
Post edited by stevenzuuh on

Replies to: Question about legal guardianship (FAFSA)

• dodgersmomdodgersmom Posts: 5,960Registered User Senior Member
    If you were in a legal guardianship when you turned 18, you are an independent student.

Your parents' contributions towards your support don't make any more difference than your Aunt Susie's contribution . . . assuming you had an Aunt Susie and she sent you money from time to time.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 36,908Registered User Senior Member
    Actually...I believe if you were ever in legal guardianship prior to 18 this applies. Or is that being a ward of the state? Someone here will clarify.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,851Super Moderator Senior Member
    they are the same thing. In this case Op is the ward, who the court has placed in to guardianship with his sister (legal guardian)

definition of legal guardianship

The legal relationship that exists between a person (the guardian) appointed by a court to take care of and manage the property of a person (the ward) who does not possess the legal capacity to do so, by reason of age, comprehension, or self-control.

The term guardian refers to a person appointed by a court to manage the affairs of another person who is unable to conduct those affairs on his or her own behalf. The term is most often applied to a person who is responsible for the care and management of an infant, which in legal terms is a person below the age of majority. Thus, children who have not reached adulthood (usually age 18 or 21) must, with some exceptions, have a legal guardian.

While you do not have to put down your parents income, you will have to include on the FAFSA monies that they have given you.