Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

IRS Data Retrieval Tool Claims Address Does Not Match Records

marybee333marybee333 Posts: 719Registered User Member
I am entering the address as it appears on my return. Does this mean our tax return is not ready for data retrieval or there is some other error. Ive been waiting to use this "easy method" which has been annoying at best. I could have enteted the data myself from the return many weeks ago at this point. Any advice?

Also, if students bank account balance is lower on the day we make corrections, ahould we enter lower amount? Or does it go by day we used estimates to file FAFSA in January?
Post edited by marybee333 on

Replies to: IRS Data Retrieval Tool Claims Address Does Not Match Records

• sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,784Super Moderator Senior Member
    In this case you need to sit at the computer with a copy of your taxes in your hand. You must put the address in exactly like it is listed on your tax forms. If you put Street on your tax form and you put St on the FAFSA, it will not find your forms.
  • annoyingdadannoyingdad Posts: 2,056Registered User Senior Member
    Don't change asset balances, they are as of the date you first filed fafsa.

Is your street name or city long? As said, abbreviate the same. That said, last year there were threads where the IRS had done some weird things to shorten some city names and such. Look at some past returns and see if there were differences and try them.
  • hoosiermomhoosiermom Posts: 612Registered User Member
    My daughter encountered the same problem last year. She had a copy of her return that she e-filed but somehow the IRS abbreviated the address and despite a multitude of different attempts, she never could use the retrieval tool. In the end, she had to go to an IRS office to get a tax transcript because she was selected for verification by her school.
  • momofmusician17momofmusician17 Posts: 428Registered User Member
    Okay. I changed the bank account balance amount when I did the IRS retrieval. Didn't know you were not supposed to do this. Is this a big deal?
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 36,252Registered User Senior Member
    Well changing the bank balance is not supposed to be done unless there is an error. Is this a large amount difference? If it is a very small amount, the schools may not care. If it is thousands of dollars, they probably will. The schools already received your first FAFSA with estimates, do they will notice the change.
    It was about $500 difference. I hope it doesn't make a difference as it was an honest mistake. Either of the amounts are below the asset limit.
    Next year I'll be a pro! :)
  • marybee333marybee333 Posts: 719Registered User Member
    Update: It was NOT the address that was wrong, it was an abbreviation after my H's name!!!! Since the form came up prepopulated with his name...how would I guess they added a suffix, that he does not normally use???
    AND Why in the world would the tool keep insisting the address, when it was the name???? UGH!!!!