Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

When do I fill out my fafsa?

iamchloeiamchloe Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
I know lots of scholarships need you to have a fafsa profile. I'm going to college in Fall of 2014, when should I fill out my fafsa?
I'm applying to several scholarships that are due in 2013 and they require a fafsa profile what am I supposed to do?
Post edited by iamchloe on

Replies to: When do I fill out my fafsa?

• thumper1thumper1 Posts: 35,592Registered User Senior Member
    You fill out your FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1 of your senior year in high school.
  • iamchloeiamchloe Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
    so I can fill them out right now 7/7/2013
    If you are graduating from High School in June 2014 and are entering college in September 2014..you fill out the FAFSA in January 2014.

If you are attending high school in the U.S. January 2014 would be the January of your senior year in high school.

No...you cannot fill out the FAFSA for the 2014-2015 school year right now...you need to wait until it becomes available in January 2014.

The Profile for the 2014-2014 school year will be available to file sometime in October 2013.

The FAFSA and the Profile are two separate financial aid application forms.
  • iamchloeiamchloe Posts: 50Registered User Junior Member
    But scholarships like the pell grant, gates millennium, and questbridge all require me to fill out the fafsa and all of the scholarships are due this year
    You cannot fill out a FAFSA for the 2014-2015 school year until January 1, 2014. That FAFSA is NOT available for completion until January 1, 2014.

The Pell grant will be based on your 2014-2015 FAFSA for the college year beginning September 2014.

You need to read the Gates application carefully for what they want...and when. I am not familiar with their application process...but really...that 2014-2015 FAFSA is NOT available until January 1, 2014.
    P.S. I would suggest you check the forums here for the Gates and Questbridge scholarships. You might want to post your question there about when you submit the FAFSA for those awards....for starting college September 2014.
    I'm just posting here for others to see. The Gates requires the FAFSA be submitted by February 2014 for students who will be entering college fall, 2014.

Folks should check the specific scholarships and colleges for deadlines themselves...and do NOT miss those deadlines.

Very important! You cannot miss any of these deadlines. You and one parent will each need a fafsa PIN. Get that ASAP...and don't lose it. Your parents will need to have their income and tax, and asset information available for you to use. If possible, they should complete their tax return. If not, use end of year pay stubs for info...and submit using GOOD estimates ASAP after January 1 using the "will file" status. Complete taxes ASAP and amend FAFSA using numbers from the 2013 tax return.

You want to submit your initial FAFSA ASAP because there are some forms of aid with limited funding...first come first served. These include federal work study, Perkins loans, and SEOG if your school has it.
  • beoleinbeolein Posts: 645Registered User Member
    And you fill out a FAFSA every year, not just the first year.