Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Denied for Parent Plus! Now what??

cvavmvcvavmv Posts: 24Registered User New Member
Got a bill for freshman fall for my son and he owes 5k. I hated to take out a plus loan but was going to do it reluctantly because I see no other choice. I applied to day and was denied!

Now what do I do? Our family EFC is zero (low income) and we dont have the ability to pay this.
Suggestions asap please! bill is due august 13th
Post edited by cvavmv on

Replies to: Denied for Parent Plus! Now what??

• Erin's DadErin's Dad Posts: 20,227Super Moderator Senior Member
    If you were denied a Plus he will get an increase in his ability to borrow through Direct loans to the independent student level. FinAid | Loans | Student Loans Looks like he can get an additional $4k.
  • swimcatsmomswimcatsmom Posts: 15,052Registered User Senior Member
    Yes, being denied for the PLUS would make him eligible for an additional $4000 in addition to the $5500 he would otherwise be eligible for. But that is for the entire year so only $2000 (plus $2750 would be disbursed for the fall semester.)

Does the school have a payment plan? If so, can you afford the monthly payments?

If not, your son may have to look for a more affordable option.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Posts: 16,977Super Moderator Senior Member
    Does he owe 5k for this term or 5k for the whole school year?

if he owes 5k for this term, this school is not going to be affordable to your family. Even with the 4k additional unsub loan, it will be disbursed 2k for the fall term and 2k for the spring term. This means that you will have to come up with 3k this term and 3k next term to make this school happen.

can you afford the payment plan, which would be ~ 600/month plus fees?

Student Payment Center l University of Pittsburgh

If it is 5k for the school year, after the loans you will need to come up with $1000 for the school year or $500 by the the 13th in order for him to attend classes.
  • 4kidsdad4kidsdad Posts: 3,123Registered User Senior Member
    Got a bill for freshman fall for my son and he owes 5k
    Are there anyway to lower the bill? Cheaper meal plan? Also, ask for work study from the financial aid office (your son may be late for that.)
  • Iron MaidenIron Maiden Posts: 1,838Registered User Senior Member
    Your issue is not the Fall semester. It is the Fall semester and the seven after that. I'm afraid you can't afford this school.
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 38,381Registered User Senior Member
    Yes...your other thread indicates you need $5000 per SEMESTER in loans for this school. It does not sound like an affordable option.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 64,095Registered User Senior Member
    Why would a 0 EFC family think that going to a school where the parent has to borrow $10k per year (while the student borrows full staffords) is affordable. The debt would be $70k+ by graduation!