Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

University of Pittsburgh Scholarships

BwertkinBwertkin Posts: 5Registered User New Member
I received a scholarship of 10,000 dollars per year from the university of Pittsburgh, but many people I talk to seem to have gotten full tuition with similar credentials, and I'm wondering how arbitrary the process is or if there's some sort of threshold that I didn't exceed in some area.

I used my ACT scores (34)
Which converted to SAT scores 1490 and 2260.
GPA 3.93 unweighted 4.5 weighted.
6 AP classes (every available one at my school) and 5s on all but chemistry (4) (not pertinent to my major)
Ranked #1 in class
Captain of 1st place Quiz Bowl team in league + MVP
soccer, swim, track for 4 years
- captain for swim, track, assistant captain for soccer
NHS (12), Model UN (11-12) Science Olympiad (president), Spanish Club (9-12), started a debate club
So my ECs seem pretty good & class rank and GPA and ACTs match or exceed others on college confidential who claim to receive full scholarship.
Considering its emphasis on those factors I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing or if I should try to talk to someone.

I've seen people on the site ranked around 10 in their class (granted its a larger class), SATs more in the mid to lower 1400s, and GPAs below 3.90 (not by much) with arguably weaker ECs who get the scholarship. Could it be a regional thing? I live close to the university so could competition have been greater? I'm not sure how they're awarded.
Post edited by Bwertkin on

Replies to: University of Pittsburgh Scholarships

• entomomentomom Posts: 23,656Registered User Senior Member
    See my post #50 here:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-pittsburgh/1068579-scholarship-info-4.html

This is from a couple of years ago for an OOS applicant who applied in early Nov. (a little late for the best scholarship consideration IMO) and was awarded 12k.
  • hoosiermomhoosiermom Posts: 612Registered User Member
    On the Pitt forum there are several threads about merit aid. Sounds like you are in-state for Pitt; some years in- state status seemed to decrease the likelihood of higher merit awards. Your major can have an influence also.
  • MTnestMTnest Posts: 1,786Registered User Senior Member
    It just depends upon what Pitt wants. The full tuition scholarship is really on a sliding scale. If you have a "hook" then you might get the full tuition even though your stats are not as high as others. If you don't have a "hook" then you might not get the full tuition even though your stats are higher than others. There is a post on the Pitt forum where a student had a 1590/1600 and did not get the full tuition scholarship. It is very hard to compare yourself to others because Pitt has never said if you have this stat, you will get the full tuition.