Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

does fasfa cover private colleges such as usc

Kobe!!!!Kobe!!!! Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
i am planning to transfer from a uc into a private college, will the state of cali aid me?
Post edited by Kobe!!!! on

Replies to: does fasfa cover private colleges such as usc

• sblake7sblake7 Posts: 1,691Registered User Senior Member
    Maybe. But most private colleges require the Profile in addition to the FAFSA. You'll need to see what forms the college requires, fill them out, and see what aid they offer. Primary form of State aid is the CalGrant. If you got it at UC, you'll likely get it at the private school.
  • Kobe!!!!Kobe!!!! Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    cool...thx a lot :)
  • thumper1thumper1 Posts: 38,381Registered User Senior Member
    >>If you got it at UC, you'll likely get it at the private school.>>

Yes...you would get the Cal grant at the private school BUT only if you apply for finaid this year indicating your new school. Go online and get the info you need before it's too late and the private schools run out of institutional money you may benefit from.
  • Kobe!!!!Kobe!!!! Posts: 42Registered User Junior Member
    for example of fasfa is paying 90% of my fees now, ABOUT what % will they pay for the fees and a private college...please estimate..
    It doesn't work that way. FAFSA doesn't pay anything.

Each college takes the EFC that the FAFSA formula calculates, and uses it to create a financial aid package (grants, loans, work study) that meets much of the difference between the EFC and the Cost of Attendance. Each college is different, and there are too many variables involved to answer your question.

You can go to College Board and look up your college and find out what % of need they meet, on average, and find out what the average breakdown of grants/loans/work study is.
  • condor30condor30 Posts: 1,083Registered User Senior Member
    sblake7,

where do I find that info. at on college board?
  • McDonalds77McDonalds77 Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    Most private schools require both the FAFSA and the CSS Profile.
    condor:

At the College Board sige, look up your school in the college 'quick finder' box, then click on "cost and financial' from the school profile.
  • condor30condor30 Posts: 1,083Registered User Senior Member
    sblake7,
  • suzesuze Posts: 4,479- Senior Member
    USC will consider a lot more info than the UCs do. If your parents own a house for example, that will be counted at a private but not by the UC. Privates look far deeper into your parent's finances and generally want more of your money.