Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

List of Inexpensive Reputable Online College BA/BS Classes and Degrees

2»

Replies to: List of Inexpensive Reputable Online College BA/BS Classes and Degrees

• YnotgoYnotgo Registered User Posts: 3,311 Senior Member
    edited July 2015
    I don't know what to list for California, but the following site is a possibility. You might want to decide whether it matches this thread.

The site lets you search for online classes available at community colleges and other colleges (including privates) throughout California. So, this is more a piecemeal solution and probably more appropriate for students who only need a few specific classes that aren't available locally.

https://cvc.edu/courses/

Good idea for a thread, thanks!
  • comicdudecomicdude Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    edited October 2015
    A"reputable" school, does not mean that it has good online degree programs. Quality of online courses are typically all over the map at most institutions except for perhaps a bakers dozen of schools that tightly regulate both course design and delivery. Unfortunately faculty tend to rebel against any intrusive evaluation process under the principle of "academic freedom". You can't trust ratings such as those by US News or other entities. They only look at institutional policies, but never at the courses themselves. The only meaningful evaluation of an online degree program is anecdotal. What are the graduates saying?
  • dyiu13dyiu13 Registered User Posts: 2,866 Senior Member
    Brigham Young University (sorry, not able to cut/paste).
  • OwlGuruOwlGuru Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    edited November 2015
    I would be able to prepare a list of inexpensive non-profit unis and separate them by state.
    However, the "reputable" part is a big question mark because reputable is more of a point of view thing.
    Would you guys want this list excluding the reputable part?
    Post edited by MaineLonghorn on
  • dyiu13dyiu13 Registered User Posts: 2,866 Senior Member
    I would guess "reputable" would mean the school is accredited and courses are college-level and transferable to other accredited dregree-granting schools.
  • saabellysaabelly Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    hi @mom2collegekids i hope you could help me with finding a study abroad program, I'm from the Philippines and I really want to study but at the same time work abroad
  • lessonwitch2lessonwitch2 Registered User Posts: 497 Member
    While this one isn't too reputable,but it is ABET accredited and very cheap. University of the People is a tuition free online school for business and computer science degrees. You essentially only pay for your exams.

www.uopeople.edu/
  • magnetnhmagnetnh Registered User Posts: 294 Junior Member
    Please check out Charter Oak State College in Connecticut. It is the online version of the Connecticut State University system.
  • momofsmartdancermomofsmartdancer Registered User Posts: 248 Junior Member
    Ohio State University; they are charging in-state tuition for their online courses.
  • NerdMom88NerdMom88 Registered User Posts: 746 Member
    Another factor is whether you can obtain an entire degree -- either undergrad or graduate -- from the institution. Many places have SOME online classes, but if you're looking for a complete degree program, you need to go with something like UMUC or SNHU.

So the criteria should be: non-profit, accredited, reasonable tuition, reputable, and able to offer many course options (if not a complete degree) online.

My personal plug is for UMUC. Both my H and I worked in online instruction development there, and they are wonderful.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 9,945 Senior Member
    I'd add
    Harvard Extension School

The
    University of London International programmes
    may be worth looking in to as well.
    They are dirt cheap, but the Brits don't believe in hand-holding and these are distance degrees, so expect even less.
2»