Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I need helping understanding my Financial aid reward. I'm doing this alone.

Replies to: I need helping understanding my Financial aid reward. I'm doing this alone.

• Synful122Synful122 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    She also told me not to worry about the costs AT THAT TIME. Because she would be willing to help. She told me to pick schools I like then take away schools based on cost. I think since you don't have the whole back story you're not correctly responding to what she actually said.
  • lvvcsflvvcsf Registered User Posts: 1,837 Senior Member
    I don't mean to sound harsh but if the above schools are the only ones you have applied to you stand a very good chance of not having an option that is affordable unless you sister really is willing to foot a good bit of the bill. All of the schools you mention are matches (to varying degrees academically) with Vanderbilt being a reach. A match does not mean that you have a 100% chance of being accepted nor does it mean you'll be able to afford it.

Your financial aid package can include several things:

Scholarships (check on these some are renewable for 4 years, some are for 1 year only. The renewable ones will have renewability requirements).

University Grants (need based financial aid from the school that does not need to be paid back. There may be requirements to keep you grants)

Government financial aid ( Pell grants, work study, and finally Stafford loans either subsidized- the interest does not accrue while you are in school or unsubsidized - interest begins accruing immediately though you are not required to pay until after you graduate unfortunately the interest gets added to the principle)

The total of these is your financial aid package and the difference between this and the Cost of Attendance is your Gap - or what you need to come up with. With an EFC of 0 it will be hard for parents to borrow. If your sister is willing to help terrific.
    She hasn't mislead me at all. For one I just got this FA award letter today a couple hours ago. For two she hasn't responded to me in any way based on whether or not she could pay THAT much for it. For three please don't respond if you're just going to be attacking my family memebers.
  • TomSrOfBostonTomSrOfBoston Registered User Posts: 10,848 Senior Member
    People here are trying to help. There is no need to get angry at our posts.

Unless your sister will pay for the funding gap for four years then you should forget about Pitt.
  • mamag2855mamag2855 Registered User Posts: 651 Member
    Vanderbilt meets need , but is a reach. U Dayton may work out. The University of Cincinnati has rolling admissions, you should apply, and although you missed the scholarship deadline for "maximum scholarship consideration", you may still get offered enough merit to make it work, Cost of attendance is about $24k. Also apply to the University of Akron, March 1 deadline, and you will still be considered for academic scholarships. COA also around $24k. As a IS student with decent stats, these schools may meet more of your need. You missed the scholarship deadline at Kent State, but they are accepting applications and might offer you some need based aid.
    Thank you for actually answering my question.
    @mamag2855 I don't know how I forgot about UC but yes I applied there and got in. I haven't heard back FA wise though. I think they're just now sending them out because a few of my friends have heard back.
    UC may end up offering you a decent financial aid package, it is great you have it on your list already! I still think you should also apply to the University of Akron and Kent State, so you are increasing your chances of having affordable IS options, in case the more reachy and expensive options don't come through for you. I think you will probably be gapped by BU, as you already stated earlier.
    @mamag2855 At most if you take away the $7500 Pitt Panther thing. It would be around $10k/yr which is certainly much more affordable. That is if I get only my federal grants/loans. So hopefully I do actually get more than that.
    @mamag2855 I also applied to Ohio State believing that with my stats it would be a match-safety school for me at an extremely low price being instate, but apparently I was wrong.
    UC will definitely be more likely to work for you than Pitt, especially if your sister can help with your room and board costs, since your fed grants and loan nearly cover tuition already. You should also be able to work part time and during summers to contribute to costs, too.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,259 Senior Member
    edited February 1
    <<<
    People here are trying to help. There is no need to get angry at our posts.

Unless your sister will pay for the funding gap for four years then you should forget about Pitt.
    >>>

True.

My point was that unless your sister intends to pay whatever aid-gap you end up having, it wasn't good advice to tell you not to worry about costs. If she is willing to pay for the gaps in aid, then super!!!

I think you're also angry that UPitt "expects" a low income student to come up with a large amount of money. UPitt doesn't accept or reject students based on whether the student can afford it. Would you have rather UPitt look at your EFC and then reject you because your low income situation? That would be wrong. You may have a rich uncle (or sister) who's willing to pay, so rejecting based on EFC wouldn't be a good either, either.

I hope that when your sister has time to read/learn about your UPitt offer she offers to pay.
    @mom2collegekids I'm not angry at anything other than how I perceived what you told me. I didn't make this thread thinking that at the end of it I'm going to have a way to add $20k to my pocket every year to pay for UPitt. I knew before I made this that it would probably be affordable. Nor do I agree with your philosophy of only applying to schools that you know you can pay for. You never know what a school will give you and sometimes it's worth a shot to still apply either way.
    UC may offer you some merit aid, too, since your stats are well above average, keeping fingers crossed for you, hoping you get some other good offers, too! Be sure to let us know how every thing works out.

My kids did not get enough aid from some of schools they applied to either, but all ended up at schools where they are happy, which showed them more "love" and value what they have to offer.