Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I need helping understanding my Financial aid reward. I'm doing this alone.

Replies to: I need helping understanding my Financial aid reward. I'm doing this alone.

• redpoodlesredpoodles Registered User Posts: 2,110 Senior Member
    It's so nice to see someone apply smartly for their situation and get enough aid to actually let them go! Congrats!
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,062 Senior Member
    Congratulations!! Nice to have a great offer in hand.
  • Synful122Synful122 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    @HImom The requirement is a 3.0 GPA during all 4 years. So seeing as I'm an aspiring doctor that should be withheld for me if I plan on actually doing what I'm supposed to be doing.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,234 Senior Member
    edited March 15
    Just FYI, it's good to check with the U as to the % of kids who keep their merit awards all 4 years vs those who lose them due to low grades. Grades in college are often be quite different from HS.

You may also want to see if the U offers academic probation if you have a bad term and if the GPA requirement is cumulative so strong terms can help offset a bad term or two. What folks intend to pursue in college and what they finally end up getting a degree in can be VERY different.
    @HImom I just found out today that I got into one of my top choices, Case Western, after being deferred. They gave me a pretty decent package. It comes out to around $9k/yr in loans. I'm going to be considering all my choices, also as seeing that UD ended up not giving me that $5,000 scholarship it's going to cost me around $5k/yr to go. I really want to get out of Dayton so atm I'm considering Miami U which is ~$7500/yr loans and Case which is at ~$9k/yr loans. I would have to keep a 2.0 GPA at Case to keep my scholarships there and like a 3.0 at Miami. I can't say what I prefer because I haven't actually been on Cases or Miami's campuses so I'll be visiting those soon. I knew that a long time ago that UD was probably going to be giving me that awesome scholarship, but I always told myself that if another school out of state or really nice gives me anything to where it would be under $10k/yr I'd most likely choose that over UD, just for the pure experience of new cultures and what not.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 31,039 Senior Member
    edited March 18
    I'd go with Case. That scholarship basically requires you to notbfaol out so it's guaranteed all four years, whereas keeping the 3.0 is a bit less guaranteed and objectively a higher bar to pass. In addition, for the $1,500 difference, Case is a top50 National University and is in my opinion a better value. (You get more for what you pay).
    See if they have admitted students days where part of your costs are taken care of. You really want to spend time on campus, attending a freshman class - I recommend freshman English and an intro class in your major- , talking with students around a drink*, eating in the cafeteria and observing if people char IE if they're all bent on their cell, etc.

* (coffee or homemade orange juice or soda or whatever you like... Not something alcoholic that would place you in an awkward situation and may lead to losing your scholarships as can and has happened.)
    @MYOS1634 Case is definitely my first option atm. I feel like paying $4k/yr will most likely be irrelevant when it comes down to the grand scheme of things. If I truly enjoy the school better than UD. Then I don't mind having to pay more for the better education.
    edited March 18
    Check with your reply to see if they could bring you to campus and put you up with a student. I bet they organize first-generation/diversity weekends and it's be free. If you can, go. It really matters to decide which place is the best *for you*. All your schools are good.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,608 Senior Member
    But how is that $7,500 to $9,000 going to be paid? You can only borrow $5,500.
    Was there a Perkins loan in there too? You might be able to get it for this year, but not the next.

Case's cost will go up in the next few years.

Miami Promise might be the best deal since costs are supposed to stay at the same level as the year you start.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,608 Senior Member
    Or U Dayton since you said your aid is supposed to go up as costs go up there too.
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 29,234 Senior Member
    Ok, now it's time to make a chart of the estimated costs of each U and the NET cost of each place you're considering. When calculating the net cost, it's total cost minus grants and scholarships ONLY. Do not count the loans or any work study.

Also make a note of what is required to keep each scholarship/grant.

As others have said students have a cap on how much they can borrow every year. You have to pick an affordable choice, especially if future schooling (like Med school) is something you're expecting.
    @mommdc well I'm borrowing $5,500 I also plan on doing the $2,500 work study at where ever I go. And my sister I asked her and she said she would be willing to pay for like $1,500/sem so $3,000/yr.
    @mommdc Also I'm really worried about the cost and stuff of a school like Case. But I'm reading online and they have a ton of scholarships that people can apply for like their sophomore year and up to get like alumni money or something , IDK. But could you give me like a link to a good scholarship website, that could find like local scholarships and such? I figure that's probably what I need to be doing right now until I find out my acceptance decision from Vanderbilt.
    @mommdc Also I'm going to email Case's FA office to see if they could give me some more money in grants and such. I've read that they don't do that often but it can't hurt to ask, I mean I've already got it haha.
    edited March 19
    I think that if Case is affordable, it's the best value for you. Its connections and students are quite different from Dayton. UD is a great school, but Case is quite a notch above it.
    Can you make it work without parental loans?