Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

4 keys for negotiating a better college aid offer

Replies to: 4 keys for negotiating a better college aid offer

• LAClusterLACluster Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    Sybbie, are you saying then that merit aid offers from competing programs are not negotiable?
  • CourtneyThurstonCourtneyThurston Registered User Posts: 1,009 Senior Member
    Imo grad school is a lot harder to negotiate for the reasons Sybbie listed. A friend of mine is going for a PhD and two peer schools he was accepted to would not match each others offers (one had better relocation, one had a better stipend, etc). It's more about what the school has available for that specific position in the dept, etc.
  • LAClusterLACluster Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    In this case, the programs I'm referring to are fairly similar masters programs in nursing at good private universities -- not a PhD / research program. So I'm wondering if their merit aid offers could be negotiated in as much as they are competing programs.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 19,794 Super Moderator
    It is highly unlikely that you are going to negotiate merit even at the Masters level. Grad school admissions and financial aid is vastly different from undergrad. Your best bet if is to find out if your can get tuition remission benefits from your job to help defray the cost of grad school.
  • Eeeee127Eeeee127 Registered User Posts: 672 Member
    what are some of university of michigan's peers? would cornell be a peer? like if I have to pay 60k for cornell could I negotiate and say I only have to pay 27k for umich (I'm a michigan resident)?
    @Eeeee127 ,

Congrats on Michigan. However, the answer to your question is no, private schools that only give need based aid do not care about what you have to pay as an in-state student going to a public university. That is the purpose of a public university, to try to provide an affordable option for their taxpayer base
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 8,270 Senior Member
    You can try to negotiate merit money at the undergrad and also professional school level.

Especially with professional schools.
    But isnt Michigan academics just as good as Cornell but Cornell costs more than double? So should I just go to Michigan for premed?
    Yes, you should attend Michigan for Pre-med if you can go for 27k vs 60k. you are going to need the $$ for med school (where your parents income and assets will still be counted)
  • 2sunny2sunny Registered User Posts: 315 Member
    @Eeeee127 Cornell has Net Price Calculator to get info, beforehand.
    So far other school said my Efc is 59k and I doubt Cornell will say my Efc is 30k
  • HImomHImom Registered User Posts: 26,982 Senior Member
    One thing the article also didn't mention is only try to see if you can increase grants at a college you WILL attend it you get the increased grant you are seeking, preferably matching one you got from a "peer" university's program. Our S was able to have his merit offer bumped up just a bit to co-incidentally match the merit award he received from peer program (even tho his private S said they did NOT match). The extra $1000/yr for 4 years was a help.
  • GatormamaGatormama Registered User Posts: 280 Junior Member
    @robincorn and @Eeeee127 -- here's a great tool for figuring out what colleges consider their peers:

http://www.chronicle.com/interactives/peers-network

edited March 22
    It does not matter that Michigan and Cornell are peers. What you must keep in mind is this:

Michigan is a public university that has an in-state and out of state tuition charge
    You are instate for Michigan, therefore, your tuition charges at Michigan is going to be considerably less that some one from any of the other 49 states who want to attend Michigan. you benefit from your parents paying taxes to the state of michigan.

With the exception of the land grant colleges at Cornell (which NYS residents are discounted), Cornell charges every one the same tuition.

Cornell is not going to match your package to what you would receive from attending your state university as an in-state resident (perhaps if you got accepted to Michigan, OOS and Cornell, then you may have something to discuss).
    Post edited by sybbie719 on
    @Gatormama that list isn't very accurate. how are university of iowa and university of oregon peers of michigan? it seems like all of michigan's peers are a bunch of other much lower ranked public universities.