Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Is IRS DRT down?

Replies to: Is IRS DRT down?

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 23,166 Senior Member
    If there's a problem completing an application, you can ask the college how they'd like you to proceed, how they'll treat their deadlines.

The article notes: "In the meantime, families are still able to apply for financial aid. Rather than use the tool, you can manually input the relevant financial information from copies of your tax returns. If you don’t have a copy of your tax return, you can use Get Transcript Online tool (it’s still operational). You may also request a transcript online to be delivered by mail or call 1.800.908.9946, and a transcript will be delivered to your address of record within five to 10 days."
  • violaineviolaine Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    Yeah, I contacted them tonight via email and will try calling Monday. I can't do the Transcript tool online because I don't have any of the required identity forms. So I can do it by phone tomorrow (if they're open) hopefully, but it will still take awhile to process. The other issue is that the Uni sent me the "final notice" about this verification yesterday, but it was actually the first notice. I went through all of my correspondence with them and not a peep about it . . .

Anyway, I was mostly just ranting but thanks for trying to help anyway.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,893 Senior Member
    @violaine

When did you DO your FAFSA? It's been available for filing since October 1, 2016. And the DRT was functioning just fine until about a week and a half ago.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,201 Senior Member
    If you live close to an IRS office, you might be able to get transcript there.

If you are high need, low EFC, it is in your best interest to do FAFSA as soon as possible. State aid has deadlines too. And SEOG and Federal work study is given out first come first served.

The college will tell you what forms they need.
  • violaineviolaine Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    I've already done the FAFSA (submitted Oct. 17th), but I entered the info manually since I always keep a copy of my taxes on my computer and it seemed easier. Big mistake. They've already given me an award package but, like I said, Thurs was the first I'd heard about verification.

Good call on going to an office. I've submitted the request for transcript by post but if they don't give me an extension then I'll try to get one in person and, I guess, spend a few hrs driving there and back.
    Oh well...for,the future...you can link to the DRT any time after your FAFSA has been processed (assuming the DRT is working).

So this year...either link when you file the fafsa...or do so ASAP after your FAFSA has been processed and submit again.

This is an extenuating circumstance...contact the college....and explain.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 23,166 Senior Member
    edited March 11
    Even with the email reminding the deadline is looming (possibly auto-generated,) I highly doubt you're the only one affected. Back when D1 was going to be a freshman, we got IDOC'd, had a legit delay, and the particular college told me they are flexible.
  • smakl70smakl70 Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    filed FAFSA in the fall using the DRT but now school is requesting an "updated" FAFSA and wants us to redo DRT (which obviously isn't possible). Not sure what's going on and I'm not getting any answers - or at least answers that make sense.
    Updated fafsa...why? Was there something incorrect on your submitted one? The school can make that correction.
  • smakl70smakl70 Registered User Posts: 226 Junior Member
    @thumper1 nope, nothing incorrect. Honestly I think the person we are dealing with just doesn't understand the FAFSA changes. She's not been overly helpful but we've been dealing through e-mail. We may be at phone call time.
  • LogansmumLogansmum Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    FYI--Just saw an article on Forbes magazine that said the DRT tool is down and will remain so for several weeks. They either has some attempted hacks or security concerns and they said it would be offline for maintenance until they get that fixed. For anyone, like me, who has a deadline in the next few weeks, you'll have to enter tax info manually from your 2015 returns.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,201 Senior Member
    When we did our taxes with Taxact and Turbotax, I think it gave the option of printing a FAFSA information sheet.

It lists the relevant info from your tax return like AGI, income from working, tax paid, education credit. It can be helpful.
  • ShinuskeKanamuraShinuskeKanamura Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I guess this is a life lesson for me to be sure to always apply early for FAFSA. I'm pretty much dead as I can't travel to the school I am going to to give them my IRS information. I don't trust that faxing it would work.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 12,913 Senior Member
    It can be done by fax, by email, by snail mail. ALL schools will be int he same position as the IRS tool is down for everyone. They want you to go to school there, they will work with you. Find out what you need to do - order a tax transcript? Email it to a certain person at the school?
  • MassDaD68MassDaD68 Registered User Posts: 1,266 Senior Member
    The IRS has had a few highly publicized attacks against it. This is not all that surprising.

On the bright side, it is quite easy to just manually input the data and submit the FAFSA. Easy Peasy.