Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Is IRS DRT down?

ccdfor2ccdfor2 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
Trying to Link to IRS through FAFSA and it says that the tool is not available. Does anyone have the same problem?
Post edited by sybbie719 on

Replies to: Is IRS DRT down?

• flmom001flmom001 Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    I was trying to do the same thing and kept running into issues, so I chatted with someone on the FAFSA site. It's a problem at THEIR end, so yes, it's down and they don't seem to know when it will be back up. Ugh
  • ccdfor2ccdfor2 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    @flmom001 Thank you for your reply. Hopefully they will have it fixed soon.

Anyway, here is the error message I got: "This service will be unavailable due to system maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience. If more information is available, you can find it by selecting the service from the Tools page."
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,122 Senior Member
    You can submit the fafsa by hand entering the numbers. Then once it's processed, you can go back in....and link to the IRS DRT and submit again.

If you have a deadline to meet!
  • ccdfor2ccdfor2 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    @thumper1 Good to know. Thanks, though we don't have a very close deadline yet.
  • LogansmumLogansmum Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Still down. I've been trying since yesterday. Do you know if it's on the FAFSA side or IRS side? Deadline is next week, but if I had to hand enter tax info and submit, can I come back later and relink after it's submitted? I'm totally new to this so if anyone has info, I would appreciate it.
    You can enter the numbers from your 2015 tax return yourself...and submit. Then once the fafsa is processed, you can go back and link to the DRT...assuming it's up and running.
  • kilroym42kilroym42 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I've been trying since friday
  • ShinuskeKanamuraShinuskeKanamura Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    It's been down since Saturday for me. I am going to wait a bit and after submit it manually which is something I'd like to avoid as I'd done this in the pass and have always needed to go back to the school to verify and i cant really do that now.
    @ShinuskeKanamura

You can enter manually now...if you have a deadline to meet. Then you can go back in later and link to the DRT.
  • ShinuskeKanamuraShinuskeKanamura Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    @thumper1 In that case I will do it your way. Thank you.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,864 Senior Member
    Six days after the Internal Revenue Service's data retrieval tool for the federal financial aid system went down, the Department of Education and IRS said Thursday they anticipate the tool will be unavailable for several more weeks.

--
    The IRS decided to temporarily suspend the tool as a precautionary step because of concerns it could be misused by identity thieves.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2017/03/10/aid-deadlines-approach-automated-irs-data-retrieval-unavailable-students
    Then folks should submit their fafsa by manually entering the data from their 2015 tax return to meet deadlines...or get it done.

If the DRT becomes functional they can also go back into their fafsa and amend to link to the DRT and resubmit.

It would probably also be smart to request a tax transcript...just in case you are selected for verification and cannot link to the DRT.

• OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 9,864 Senior Member
    It would probably also be smart to request a tax transcript...just in case you are selected for verification and cannot link to the DRT.

Agree. And folks will need to dig up their 2015 taxes. I keep all of mine in a folder on my computer as PDFs, and also hard copies, but I suspect this will be a challenge for some kids.

I'm selfishly glad I did my FA paperwork early this year, back in the fall, even though it wasn't due until this month (returning student).
  • jym626jym626 Registered User Posts: 51,957 Senior Member
    edited March 10
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2017/03/10/irs-temporarily-shuts-down-tool-used-to-complete-fafsa/amp/
    Here it is - it will be unavailable for several weeks. Good thing most everyone should have already submitted for next year.
  • violaineviolaine Registered User Posts: 54 Junior Member
    I spent two days trying to make that thing work before finally finding a badly publicized press release about it from the IRS. You'd think instead of a "this tool is down for maintenance" error message it would actually give you useful information -- you know, like maybe that it's going to be down for the next few weeks and that you shouldn't waste any more time trying it.

It's infuriating because now I have no idea if I will be able to get the financial aid I've already been awarded by my safety school. Apparently I have to do a FAFSA verification before the 15th or I'm SOL. So I've no idea what is going to happen. Worst case scenario is I waste a year of my life waiting for Fall 2018. Who knows what can happen btwn now and then, I'm old and only getting older. Inertia is fickle.