Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Non-custodial / Non-contributing parent (schools are including as "contributing")

2»

Replies to: Non-custodial / Non-contributing parent (schools are including as "contributing")

• mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 7,795 Senior Member
    Yes, of course. Confirm all requirements with the college.
  • ladygriffladygriff Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    edited March 19
    @thumper1, I filled out the FAFSA last year and absolutely saw the info about CSS, which was also completed asap, and was encouraged by the option of the NCP waiver, thinking that it would be a nobrainer, as again, I have never had contact with him. Having never gone to college before, I didn't know it would be "extremely rare" (I think that's what was said?) for them to approve it. *That* was what I didn't know and wish I had.

I have some great public schools lined up so not too much of a problem, but it's a disappointment. Having the merit but not the $$ is a bummer that a lot of students deal with, but I'll be going to a good school and keep living my life.

Have a great day!
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 60,293 Senior Member
    Does your NCP pay child support?

Simply not seeing someone isn't a criteria for getting a waiver.

Why was yours denied? Did you ask?
  • Emsmom1Emsmom1 Registered User Posts: 472 Member
    I was under the impression that if the student had never had contact with the non-custodial parent and the non-custodial parent didn't pay child support, the waiver was likely to be approved (although, of course, it varies by schools). Many of the waiver forms ask if the student has contact with the NCP and how often if so and when was the last time. So, @ladygriff, are you saying that you've never had contact and they still denied a waiver? Does she NCP pay child support? Just trying to wrap my head around this-
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 27,385 Senior Member
    I don't think it matters if they don't pay their child support, either. If you really can't find the other parent -- there is no way to contact them, or I think occasionally if there is a record of domestic violence convictions of the NPC, then you are more likely to get the waiver. Otherwise, parents are considered first in line to pay.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 60,293 Senior Member
    edited March 19
    @ladygriff

There has to be a reason the NCP waivers were denied for this student...and it sounds like it happened at more than one college.

.what were your reasons for requesting the NCP waiver? Who were the impartial third party folks who wrote on your behalf?

Does your mom know where your dad is??
  • tutumom2001tutumom2001 Registered User Posts: 357 Member
    If the NCP is a total deadbeat bum without any discernible income other than the occasional minimum wage job, what would be the likelihood of a waiver? Or even how the colleges would calculate his contribution?
  • tutumom2001tutumom2001 Registered User Posts: 357 Member
    Follow up, if the NCP is jailed for non-support, will that affect the decision?
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 11,858 Senior Member
    If the NCP has no money, what is the problem with filing the forms? Student would probably qualify for MORE aid since it would be based on two parents, two households with less money.

It is quite rare for someone to be jailed for non-support. He's really be jailed for contempt, for not answering the court's requirement to provide income statements. We don't have debtor's prison
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 22,949 Super Moderator
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    Closing thread. The OP's situation seems resolved. Other posters with questions should start a new thread instead of jumping on this bandwagon.
2»
This discussion has been closed.