Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

As a family who will not receive any needs-based aid, how do I pay for out of state school?

Replies to: As a family who will not receive any needs-based aid, how do I pay for out of state school?

• austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,442 Senior Member
    My starting salary will be around $70,000... isnt he rule to make sure you don't take out loans exceeding starting salary?

No, because you have no way of knowing if you'll stay in the major. You could change your mind or get weeded out. You can't borrow $70k. Your parents would have to borrow it, and they may not be able to borrow as much as you need. If they're ever turned down for a loan, you'd have to transfer. Transfers don't get much aid. Your parents have other children whose college expenses they have to pay. If they max out their borrowing for you, it could negatively impact your siblings' options.
  • beth's mombeth's mom Registered User Posts: 3,304 Senior Member
    edited March 20
    You've gotten good advice to check out UA Huntsville. Huntsville is rocket city - there are a lot of aerospace engineers there. You've got Cummings Research Park and Redstone Arsenal right there, which should provide internship and job opportunities. Even if it's ultimately not to your liking, what do you have to lose by checking out a potential full tuition scholarship?
  • clightfield24clightfield24 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    I am looking at UAH now. I see the estimated cost is $36,012 which is $10,000 more than Minnesota.

I would delete that statement above now that I have researched more but I'll just leave it. I qualified for the Charger Distinction bracket so the total cost - tuition is $16,246 each year. Wow...

Is this school going to make me competitive against Georgia Tech students when applying to internships or co-ops? Or even graduate school or a career? Does Huntsville being an aerospace hub make the job placement much greater?
  • OttermaOtterma Registered User Posts: 957 Member
    edited March 20
    I expect that the placement opportunities at UAH are on par with GT for national placements in aerospace and maybe a bit better for local opportunities.
  • NerdMom88NerdMom88 Registered User Posts: 737 Member
    My D is still considering UAH. She has a better deal financially at a higher-rated school, but we've talked with students and locals, and UAH cannot be beat for its co-op and employment opportunities in the aerospace field.
  • clightfield24clightfield24 Registered User Posts: 111 Junior Member
    Is employment generally remaining in Alabama? I don't want to end up stuck in Alabama and I'd rather end up in Texas or California.
  • SkrunchSkrunch Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    Have an OOS at GT. I will also second that the COA for GT seems high. It turns out to be about $43K for---and will probably drop just below $40K now that she is moving off campus. It can be hard to finish in 4 years. That needs to be factored in.
  • Iron MaidenIron Maiden Registered User Posts: 1,937 Senior Member
    The deadlines have all passed for ROTC scholarship. ROTC is NOT a way to pay for college! It is for students whose #1 priority life is to serve as an officer in the armed forces. Students who join ROTC for the scholarship money very very rarely finish the program and in many cases have to pay the money back.
  • PinewoodCCPinewoodCC Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Here are some great articles that will help you get to know Huntsville. Good luck! Its unlike any other city in AL! http://www.huntsvillealabamausa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=277
  • itsgettingreal17itsgettingreal17 Registered User Posts: 2,787 Senior Member
    Good choice. You won't regret not going into crazy debt. Good luck!
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,172 Senior Member
    edited March 21
    That is terrible that your mom is saying she is disappointed if you don't go to GT.
    The amount that GT costs cannot jusy be "figured out as you go".
    If the money isn't there, you have to make your own way.
    Thankfully you have good stats and UAH is still accepting applications and giving merit this late.
    And it has great opportunities for the career you are interested in.
    It is not a "no name school" in that industry.
    You are smart to think about the future, you will go far by taking advantage of opportunities that present themselves!