Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Full Tuition/ride Scholarships?

Replies to: Full Tuition/ride Scholarships?

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,893 Senior Member
    University of Kansas DOES have your major...biomedical engineering.

https://bio.engr.ku.edu

Total cost of attendance is about $27,000 a year.

You have $10,000 you can "pay" plus $5500 Direct Loan you can get also. So that's $15,500.

Does Kansas have merit awards for instate students?

And for,the record...even IF you are part of a tuition common market or exchange...with other states..your costs of attendance are NOT going to be less.
  • raven2016raven2016 Registered User Posts: 266 Junior Member
    My son finished his freshman yr at UA. We are also from Kansas. The Pres scholarship pays for your tuition and there is another 2500 a yr for engineering. I think the cutoff might be a 32 for full tuition but you can look up on UA scholarship site. UAH in Hunstville also has a very generous scholarship offers as does Utah St ( but it's mostly mormon society which could be a shock). Not sure about Ole MIss on both of those majors but they have very, very generous scholarhip offers too.
  • raven2016raven2016 Registered User Posts: 266 Junior Member
    I forgot about Ms State.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,081 Senior Member
    will your parents pay the $15k per year? If not who will?

What is your career goal with BioMedE? That is a very limiting major and NOT necessary for any career path. ChemE or MechE will accomplish the same goals and will be offered at a LOT more schools.

I hate to see kids who have financial limitations thinking that they must go to a school with biomedE since it's not necessary.
    <<<,
    My parents could contribute slightly from savings.
    <<<

How much will they pay? Who will pay the $15k per year??

You need to identify at least 3 schools that will not only accept you BUT you also know FOR SURE that you have ALL costs covered with ASSURED merit, grants and/or family funds.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,201 Senior Member
    UA presidential scholarship no longer covers full tuition, and not sure about extra engineering scholarship.

I believe a 1490 SAT is needed now, not sure on required ACT score.
  • FRCMandyFRCMandy Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    University of Kansas does have it but it's only Master's or above program
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,893 Senior Member
    Then get a bachelors in mechanical engineering...and go for a masters in bio engineering.

What is your career goal?
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 15,696 Senior Member
    What is your EFC?
  • Sportsman88Sportsman88 Registered User Posts: 1,245 Senior Member
    edited June 17
    $15,000 means full tuition then.
  • flatKansasflatKansas Registered User Posts: 478 Member
    Check if Arkansas still has reciprocity for KS. Pretty sure they have BME.
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 949 Member
    edited June 17
    PLEASE ANSWER the questions below so we can properly help you!

<<<,
    Preferably I would want to pay less than $15,000 a year

My parents could contribute slightly from savings.
    <<<

How much will they pay? Who will pay the $15k per year??

You need to identify at least 3 schools that will not only accept you BUT you also know FOR SURE that you have ALL costs covered with ASSURED merit, grants and/or family funds.

What is your career goal with BioMedE? That is a very limiting major and NOT necessary for any career path. ChemE or MechE will accomplish the same goals and will be offered at a LOT more schools.

I hate to see kids who have financial limitations thinking that they must go to a school with biomedE since it's not necessary.
  • ClassicRockerDadClassicRockerDad Registered User Posts: 5,738 Senior Member
    University of Pittsburgh is another excellent place for biomedical engineering, especially given the proximity of UPMC to the main campus. They also award full-tuition merit scholarships, though unlike Alabama, they are not automatic. Nonetheless, it's worth considering.
  • FRCMandyFRCMandy Registered User Posts: 26 New Member
    The $15,000 would be from savings
This discussion has been closed.