Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Full Tuition/ride Scholarships?

FRCMandyFRCMandy Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
I want to go into Biomedical Engineering and was wondering if anybody knew of colleges with good engineering programs as well as large merit scholarships?

Replies to: Full Tuition/ride Scholarships?

• twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 5,293 Senior Member
    What are your test scores? GPA? Can your parents contribute anything?
  • FRCMandyFRCMandy Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    My current ACT score is 31, just retook in June so hoping to raise it. My GPA is 4.0 unweighted and around 4.25 weighted. My parents could contribute slightly from savings.
    I have a ton of extracurriculars and leadership positions as well as an internship at an engineering firm if that helps
    edited June 15
    Do you have any preferences such as geographic, etc? Check out the U of Alabama scholarships.
    I really love Colorado but would be fine going anywhere
    It looks like U of Alabama have Biological and chemical engineering combined
    edited June 15
    Have you investigated your own state schools? Keep in mind that getting very large awards is difficult and will require going down in the rankings. Would your family qualify for financial aid?
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 12,140 Senior Member
    You won't find much in Colorado, but Utah State, Utah, Wyoming, Montana and other western schools might work for you. Some of those have scholarships for stats, but also engineering scholarships. Make sure you look at being able to stack scholarships, not just a one scholarship to cover everything.

Where do you live? Are you eligible for any tuition exchange state schools?
    I live in Kansas but I'm not looking at any in-state schools. Might be able to find midwestern tuition exchange?
  • SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 715 Member
    You will need a higher test score for full tuition even at USU and UA. U of Utah is much higher, maybe 35 plus top GPA. What is your home state, that is almost always your best bet. As full rides are rare OOS means at least 10K a year just for R&B. Look at the automatic scholarships information and threads.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 24,639 Senior Member
    Here are two older lists. Check through them to see if the scholarships still exist, and if you are eligible.
    http://automaticfulltuition.yolasite.com/
    http://competitivefulltuition.yolasite.com/
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 60,805 Senior Member
    Please at least look at your instate options which MIGHT be the least costly.

How much CAN your parents pay annually? Full RIDES are not all,that plentiful, and go to,students with tippy top stats. Your GPA is there...but so far, your ACT is not.

Full tuition scholarships are just a tad more available...but right now...a 31 ACT would not give you full tuition guaranteed at University of Alabama.

@mom2collegekids whT does this kid need to get the higher awards?
  • 50N40W50N40W Registered User Posts: 946 Member
    U Alabama Huntsville and/or Birmingham might still be in play. Huntsville's average ACT scores are about the highest in the state, comparable to Purdue's IIRC.
    None of my state schools offer the major program I want to go into, otherwise I would for sure stay in state
    Preferably I would want to pay less than $15,000 a year
This discussion has been closed.