Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Good public schools with great financial aid for OOSers?

Replies to: Good public schools with great financial aid for OOSers?

• jcwjnw99jcwjnw99 Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    I believe it's already been mentioned but you should also strongly consider private colleges that meet full need.

Someone already posted about University of Richmond. They have an endowment of 2.5 billion dollars and about 3,000 undergraduates. That is a huge endowment for a school of that size.

There are many other colleges like Vanderbilt, USC, Davidson, Haverford, all the Ivy League schools, etc., that pledge to meet full need. Some are stingy like Wake Forest. You would need to apply to multiple schools to weigh the best FA offers.
  • LVKrisLVKris Registered User Posts: 449 Member
    You should certainly look at all the possibilities, but don't reject your instate options entirely. You don't want to be in the sad position of having no affordable schools when May rolls around.

High achieving, low income students in Nevada actually have most costs covered if they can commute to UNR or UNLV.

An example using UNLV figures:

COA for a commuter - $16,220

Maximum Pell (federal grant) - $5,800
    Provost's Scholarship (institutional merit) - $3,300
    Millennium Scholarship (state merit) - $2,500
    Total - $11,600

$16,220 - $11,600 = $4,620 remaining

If your parents will allow you to live at home rent free, and will continue to feed you, you can knock off $3,000 of the COA listed above.

$4,620 - $3,000 = $1,620 remaining

This amount would easily be covered by a part time job.

If your parents need you to contribute towards household expenses, you have the option of taking a student loan if your earnings from work are not quite enough.

Make sure to apply for admission and financial aid before the priority deadline to maximize your chances of receiving merit money beyond the awards listed above.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 1,159 Senior Member
    "I forgot to mention I am from Nevada and while UNR and UNLV are decent schools I think I have better options OOS."

Are either of these close enough to your home that you could live at home and commute? If so, then this could save significantly on room and board expenses.

Are you planning on applying to your in-state options, but also wanting to apply to other schools out of state?
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 12,165 Senior Member
    Max Pell for 2017-18 will be $5920, but the COA listed may also go up because of a tuition increase.

A student who gets max Pell will usually get an SEOG too, if FAFSA is filed early.
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 5,296 Senior Member
    The only OOS public schools that will meet full need are UNC, UVA and Michigan. I would add Lehigh to the list in addition to the schools that have been suggested. I believe Lehigh meets full need now. If you decide to apply you will have to show interest.
  • golfdude71golfdude71 Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Admissions

Very difficult to get in (31.1% acceptance rate)
    One of the top average SAT scores (1975 out of 2400)

Cost & Aid

Extremely expensive tuition ($48,090 USD)
    Relatively low percent of freshmen receive grants (61%)
    Graduation Rate & Salary
    Very high graduation rate (85% in 6 years)
    Very high median salary 10 years after graduation ($59,900 USD)

Academics

Wide program selection (63 programs)
    Most popular majors:
    - Business Administration and Management, General
    - Law
    - Accounting

Student Body & Faculty

Very large university (4,181 undergrad & grad students)
    Very large undergrad population (3,329 students)
    More female students (55% female - 45% male)
    Great student-faculty ratio (8:1)
    Small class sizes (mostly 10-19 students)
    Institution
    Semester calendar
    Private (Not-for-Profit) institution
    President: Ronald A. Crutcher
    Early decision school (November 15 deadline)
    Locale
    Locale type: midsize city
    Hot summer (77°F average)
    Cold winter weather (40°F average)

================================================================================

The above is from www.startclass.com for University of Richmond.

It is VERY difficult to get in (31% acceptance) and ONLY 61% of freshman receive financial aid.
  • Madison85Madison85 Registered User Posts: 10,164 Senior Member
    Is the 'less than $30,000 income' for one parent or both parents (Single? Divorced? Remarried?)?
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 60,838 Senior Member
    Is the $30,000 income before or after taxes...and for what year?
  • ReappeaRReappeaR Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Thank you all for the insight and help!

@thumper1 It is after taxes and will stay pretty stable (its social security)
  • ReappeaRReappeaR Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    @DadTwoGirls UNR would require me to live in a dorm but not UNLV. I will be applying to both UNR and UNLV. I'm looking out of state because of the possible good CS programs like at UW.

@Madison85 Both parents
  • mamag2855mamag2855 Registered User Posts: 586 Member
    @golfdude71 @ReappeaR
    While a lot of good info. was provided in post #21, and URichmond's admit rate was 31% last year, the average ACT score for admitted students was 32, so OP's score is certainly in range. UR will also consider HS course rigor and ECs, essays, interest, etc.

UR's new president as of last year, Ronald Crutcher, and UR's board are trying to increase numbers of minority and low income students at UR.

UR is actually on the low end of medium sized schools sizewise, I dont agree with the above assessments of "Very large university (4,181 undergrad & grad students and
    Very large undergrad population (3,329 students".

As far as tuition and financial aid go, looking solely at overall percentages does not show the full picture for individual students. Yes, the sticker price tuition rate at UR is high, but they meet 100% of demonstrated need for admitted students, and can do so with their very large endowment. So if a low income student's demonstrated need is the full cost of attendance, that individual student's will be met with a large institutional Grant, federal student loan of $5500, and usually some work study (work study jobs are easy to get at UR). Higher income students with no demonstrated need, will receive $0 in grants. So the "ONLY 61% of freshman receive financial aid." Listed above, had 100 % of their need met, and the remaining 39% of freshman had 0% demonstrated financial need, so were not awarded any grants.

I think that low income students often fall into the trap of applying only to colleges with lower sticker prices, when they should also add some more expensive, higher sticker price private colleges which meet a high percentage of demonstrated need to their application lists. In the end, the higher sticker price colleges can end up being cheaper for a low income student.

Don't write off all LACs and privates based on sticker price alone. Dig deeper into financial aid info., endowments, percentage of need met, as you build your application list.

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 59,751 Senior Member
    Be aware that CS at many schools is more competitive than admission to the school overall. At some schools, you may be admitted to the schools, but not the CS major, and have to apply to a competitive secondary admission process to get into the CS major later.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 81,903 Senior Member
    edited June 18
    If you want to go OOS, then you need to apply to some OOS PRIVATES that "meet need" for its students and the tiny number of OOS publics that meet need for OOS students.

Of course also apply to UNR and UNLV as your back ups since you'll likely get merit from them, too and a couple of OOS publics that will give you HUGE merit for your stats.

What is your major and career goal?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 81,903 Senior Member
    <<<<
    Yes Washington.

Do those schools not have merit scholarships for OOS students I could attempt to get?
    >>>>

UWash gives small merit scholarships to OOS students. Certainly not anywhere near enough for your need.
    UCLA....even if you increased your test score, you wouldn't get enough merit. Even if you increased to a perfect score, you'd still be left with about $25k per year that YOUR FAMILY would have to pay plus full loans....obviously not happening.