Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Good public schools with great financial aid for OOSers?

ReappeaRReappeaR Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
I have a 32 ACT, 3.9 unweighted GPA but my family's income is less than $30,000.

What public schools would be optimal for me?

Replies to: Good public schools with great financial aid for OOSers?

• SybyllaSybylla Registered User Posts: 954 Member
    Most OOS publics don't subsidise OOS kids. Look at the auto tuition thread. 32/3.9 is nice but don't expect any pots of gold outside of the auto schools, even those, double check any changes on their test score changes for next year. Like as not you need to look close to home. Others might chime in on more generous privates as you have financial need, but again, the more generous schools will come with higher entrance stats.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 15,696 Senior Member
    Check out UMich. They just announced a couple days ago to meet the need of OOS students with family income below $90k. Nevertheless, 32/3.9 is marginal for admission from OOS there. Not impossible, but you need a higher score for better chance.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,921 Senior Member
    University of Virginia and UNC-CH also meet full need for OOS students BUT getting accepted is extremely competitive for OOS students.

I have to ask...why OOS?

Does your state offer any aid for low income students?
  • ReappeaRReappeaR Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Thumper1:

I forgot to mention I am from Nevada and while UNR and UNLV are decent schools I think I have better options OOS.
    edited June 17
    You don't have better options OOS if you can't afford to pay the bills.

Will you be retaking the ACT? Did you take the SAT?

I did not take the SAT and I retook it just a week ago.

Do you particularly know how the financial aide for UW and UCLA are?
    UCLA gives NO need based aid...not a dime...to out of state students.

UW?..do you mean University of Washington? I wouldn't count on getting a lot of need based aid from them either.
    Yes Washington.

Do those schools not have merit scholarships for OOS students I could attempt to get?
  • CottonTalesCottonTales Registered User Posts: 418 Member
    Google is your friend.
    I understand Google is my friend and I've used it but I'd like insight from people to see if I'm missing anything or if there's any other possible good opportunities. Thanks for the useless comment though
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 503 Member
    TCNJ wants more OOS students and will give merit for them.

Rowan gives good merit.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,201 Senior Member
    U NM has the Amigo scholarship.

U Maine has the flagship match program.
  • mamag2855mamag2855 Registered User Posts: 630 Member
    It may be a good idea to add some private colleges which meet 100% of need to your list. The University of Richmond in VA and Franklin and Marshall in PA may be worth a look, and there are other LACs where your stats are solid. Check out the CTCL colleges, too, CTCL.org , many offer merit aid and meet need for higher stats students.

Be sure to demonstrate interest. If you cannot visit colleges in person, contact admission reps, ask questions, request info, etc.
    edited June 17
    If your family income is really below $30,000 a year...you likely will qualify for a full Pell Grant of $5800. In addition, you can take the $5500 Direct Loan for your freshman year. That's $11,300 to start.

On an income of less than $30,000 a year, your parents probably can't give you much financial,assistance. But you are not the only student in this situation.

If your ACT comes up a bit, you will be better positioned for schools that offer to meet full need for all students.

OR if you can get a full tuition merit scholarship...you could use the Pell and Direct Loans to pay room/board costs.

@WayOutWestMom would this student qualify for the Amigo Scholarship?

@mom2collegekids what sorts of scholarships might this student receive at any of the UA campuses?

@twoinanddone what other colleges in the area do you know of that have modest costs for OOS students...and maybe would be affordable for this student.

@CourtneyThurston any scholarship suggestions?

To anyone...is Questbridge an option?
    Is the Pack Advantage program at UN Reno still happening?