Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Scholarships For High AP Scores

Help HelperHelp Helper Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Are there any scholarships I can apply for with my AP scores?

Replies to: Scholarships For High AP Scores

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,916 Senior Member
    Not that I've heard of. Most scholarships are based on your SAT or ACT scores and HS GPA. Are those not sufficiently high for colleges to consider you for merit aid from their schools?
  • Help HelperHelp Helper Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Both my SAT and my GPA are fine. I was just wondering if I could scrape together a little more money. Thanks anyways!
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,411 Super Moderator
    Your high AP scores may end up getting you credit for courses which may shorten the amount of time you spend in school (which can be a cost savings), but you will not get scholarship $$ for having high AP scores.
  • NJRoadieNJRoadie Registered User Posts: 395 Member
    My daughter brought in 29 college credits for her AP scores, that plus some summer classes will take a full year off her college - saving us a full year's expenses. Good luck to you!
  • FinalForFinalFor Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    @NJRoadie That's pretty good return. How many AP classes does that equate to?
    @FinalFor
    AP US History
    AP Lit
    AP Lang
    AP Econ (which was good for Micro and Macro)
    AP Environmental
    AP Psych
    AP World

AP Environment she got a 5, and that made it valid to cover a lab science class. All the others she got 4 or 5s.

My foster son took AP Chem (5), was told as a science major he "should really take Chem 1 on campus" so he did - and found it was a complete waste of time. Just as an informative bit for you :) some schools will push back to try to make you take their Composition 1 (for example) instead of taking the AP Lit - honestly, don't waste your time. (my opinion)

Pay close attention to a 4 year graduation plan - schedule it and pay attention to prerequisite classes. Don't get caught missing a class like Stats, which you need in the fall to take the Spring semester Research Methods class, or you get behind. College is like being a grownup with training wheels, but you do better if you drop the trainers sooner :)
  • FinalForFinalFor Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
    @NJRoadie thanks. Great advice. My son has a few AP classes under his belt as a rising senior so any path that reduces credits needed and cost associated with it is great.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 15,696 Senior Member
    My D got 33 credits from 6 AP. It may shorten one semester for her but there is no real money saving as she got full tuition pretty much covered by scholarships and grant anyway. So she just takes very light workload (~14 credits) each semester.
  • katliamomkatliamom Registered User Posts: 10,795 Senior Member
    Please note that not all colleges award credit for AP classes. If that's part of your financial/educational strategy you need to check each school's AP policies carefully.
    ^ That is choose. For my D2, I advise her to take AP classes that her target school offers credit. Many senior would not even take the AP exam if they are admitted EA/ED and know the schools do not offer credits for those AP.
  • tangentlinetangentline Registered User Posts: 1,104 Senior Member
    Siemens... Used to when I was in HS... Offer a scholarship for the most 5's in the math/science AP tests by state... But I checked an that is no longer the case.
    It seems dumb to me not to spend the $90 per test - you never know what your situation will be. If you are economically strapped, talk to your guidance counselor about a fee waiver.
    edited July 16
    ^ Lucky you if you pay only $90 per test. It is $130 in our area. It adds up while most do not qualify for fee waiver.
    Note that all AP exams are within that week. It would be a smart move to focus on those one can actually get credits not just for saving money.