Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

What does my efc code mean?

Eagles98Eagles98 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
I received my EFC code of 008442. Can someone please explain what it is and means? I haven't seen it anywhere.

Replies to: What does my efc code mean?

• bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 7,636 Senior Member
    It means they think your family can afford $8442 each year towards your education.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,916 Senior Member
    edited July 13
    It means that for schools using the FAFSA to determine need based aid awards....your family will be expected to pay AT LEAST $8442 for one year.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,201 Senior Member
    It means your EFC is too high for a Pell grant.

What state do you live in?
  • profdad2021profdad2021 Registered User Posts: 369 Member
    EFC is expected family contribution. Colleges that cover "full need" will give you an aid package that gets you close to that amount for you to pay but those schools probably will include loans in their offer. Your best bet is to run net price calculators for schools you are interested in. General rule of thumb is -- more info required for school online npc, the more reliable.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,201 Senior Member
    But most likely 'meet full need schools' will base their aid not on FAFSA EFC alone, but on CSS profile or their own form as well.
  • astensonastenson Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    edited July 17
    Hey Eagles98. The EFC is a common spot of confusion especially for rising freshmen. It's really common for students to get their EFC and it seems way higher than they expected. Finding out that your EFC is higher than you expected can be really, really stressful, but know that a lot of us have gone through it and we all turned out OK.

Post edited by skieurope on