Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Help! Got accepted into a London University but FAFSA barely covers the required amount

wessonwinchesterwessonwinchester Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
So I'm 30 and started going to a community college in Austin TX last year. This summer I got accepted into the University of East London and even got a £4000 scholorship, I've filed my FAFSA but only got approved for $9500. I need about $20,200 more (around $36000 in total) to be able to attend. I'm applying for private loans, but I don't have any credit and my family disowned me for being transgender so I don't have any relatives I can ask to cosign or help. I'm entirely on my own. Is there anything I can do? I work at Starbucks and I don't have any savings, I live very paycheck to paycheck.

Replies to: Help! Got accepted into a London University but FAFSA barely covers the required amount

• AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 1,647 Senior Member
    To be honest, it sounds like you need to find a less expensive school. If you want tomstudy abroad, maybe look into free colleges in Germany?
  • texaspgtexaspg Super Moderator Posts: 16,581 Super Moderator
    FAFSA determines what you are able to afford, not what you can get as a loan.

As a 30 year old, you are adult borrowing money against your own name. College loans are applied for through the school.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 31,651 Senior Member
    This school is unaffordable. Period.

Even if you could manage to cover tuition (you can't), do you realize how expensive it is to move overseas? And how expensive it is to live in London?

If you really want to move to England, get a degree and then try to find a way over to England.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,916 Senior Member
    Agree with others. You need a more affordable college. This one isn't it.
  • bjkmombjkmom Registered User Posts: 3,803 Senior Member
    edited July 14
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,201 Senior Member
    Since you qualify for Pell grant and TX state grant it seems, plus a $12,500 student loan, I would finish your degree at an instate TX university.
  • RoaringMiceRoaringMice Registered User Posts: 316 Member
    You can't afford this college. I'd suggest you apply to some public unis in TX. And do a year abroad in England as part of your US degree program.

In addition, apply to other US unis. Apply to several. See where you get in. See what aid you get. Calculate what you'd need in loans for each school you get into. Then decide where you'll attend.

If your grades at the cc are good, stay there longer and apply to their honors program, and also find out how to join PTK, the community college honors society. Once you're in that, you'll start getting scholarship offers directly from schools, which are only for PTK members. I remember getting offers for in-state tuition at out of state schools, half price tuition at various private unis, etc.
  • NASA2014NASA2014 Registered User Posts: 1,897 Senior Member
    Why would you go to Europe? Texas as so many GREAT and best Unversities. You should be happy that you have the opportunity to pay in-state tuition.
  • aunt beaaunt bea Registered User Posts: 7,945 Senior Member
    No American bank is going to give you a loan without collateral nor credit. London is extremely expensive.
    Where were you planning on getting money to fund this school?
  • momcincomomcinco Registered User Posts: 926 Member
    The title of the thread doesn't make sense. As I understand it, FAFSA is a service run by the US gov't to generate a financial aid student report, and to determine eligibility for US gov't subsidized loans at US colleges and universities.

You are getting some good feedback even if it sounds a bit harsh. Many posters on this website have witnessed horror studies about loans. I hope you will come backand let us know how your plans are going,
  • BelknapPointBelknapPoint Registered User Posts: 2,555 Senior Member
    ...eligibility for US gov't subsidized loans at US colleges and universities.

Federal student aid can be used at qualifying international schools, even for a full course of study that leads to a degree from an overseas school.

https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/prepare-for-college/choosing-schools/types/international
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 29,759 Senior Member
    University of East London is not worth it - it was recently converted from the equivalent of a community college.
    Go to Austin community college then transfer to UT. Or if Texas is too stifling for you, move to a liberal town with a University, work there for a full year, and go to college there.
    Try your best to keep your grades up and get into PTK. That's your best hope for moving forward.
  • flamingohairflamingohair Registered User Posts: 12 New Member
    If your heart is set on London, you should look into Birkbeck - they're a more unusual college (it was begun as a 'Mechanics Institute'), aimed at people like yourself. All their lectures are in the evening, and most of their students are mature students with a high percentage of international students. It may allow you to work and study simultaneously, and not be so worried about the fees or being able to continue. I know somebody who worked at Pret to cover their costs whilst they studied there, so I'm confident you could do it as a Starbucks employee :)