Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

My EFC is 0962 on FAFSA what does this mean?

kenadeekkenadeek Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
I go to Robert Morris University which is a private school what is my chance of getting a pretty decent financial aid package ?

Replies to: My EFC is 0962 on FAFSA what does this mean?

• TheGreyKingTheGreyKing Registered User Posts: 794 Member
    The earlier part of my post got lost as two threads seemed to merge and then be divided... and then my second post, above, was separated from the comment that preceded it, so it sounds like it came from out of nowhere. Oh, well.
    What I had said in my first post was:
    If you will be in danger of losing your home, or have to scrounge for money for food or transportation, or have to shortchange a second child... it is not worth Middlebury. The other two schools are great. But your post made it sound like those are not risks you are facing.
    Otherwise, yes, I would let my son go to whatever school he wants that he is able to get into. That is my financial priority. It is what I saved for, for many years. I figure, what could be more important than 1) my child's happiness, and 2) his education? My job as a parent is to support him and help him follow his dreams.
  • AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 2,241 Senior Member
    Your EFC is 962 dollars, which means the FAFSA thinks your family can afford that amount per year.

Robert Morris is not a meets full need school, so you will likely have to pay more. Possibly quite a bit more. Are you enrolled for fall? You should have gone through the financial aid process six months ago when you were applying.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,637 Senior Member
    http://www.rmu.edu/Undergraduate/Admissions/NetPriceCalculator/FreshmenCalculator

What is your high school GPA and SAT score? Are you from PA?

The net price calculator above can give you an idea what aid they would offer you.
    The calculator asks for GPA and SAT or ACT score. Then it gives a merit scholarship estimate.

Then it asks if you already filed FAFSA and know your EFC. You would put 962 in that field.

It asks about student age and state of residence, and if you will live on campus.
    Are you a freshman or transfer student?
  • kenadeekkenadeek Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    I am going to be a junior education major there I want there last year as a sophomore but didn't have the best grades transferring in so I didn't get as much aid. I have improved my grades to a 3.58 GPA will that get me more aid? Plus my brother is now in college too
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,122 Senior Member
    With an EFC per FAFSA of $962, you should get about $5000 in Pell Grant money. As a junior, you will also get a $7500 Direct Loan in your name only.

Did you get need based aid last year? That is based on family finances. What was your EFC for 2016-2017? What aid did you receive? Need based aid is not based on your GPA...it's based on your financial need.

If you are a continuing student, you could have submitted your FAFSA for 2017-2018 last October. Did you? There are some need based awards that are awarded on a first come/first serve basis (SEOG, federal work study)

At this point, you will just have to wait and see.

How did you pay for this college for 2016-2017?
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,636 Senior Member
    Usually the EFC is only used to determine need based financial aid, especially federal grants and loans. The fact that your brother is now in school is already part of the EFC calculations.

You should get a Pell grant, and you might get other federal aid from your school, such as an SEOG, work study, and subsidized loans (but those are LOANS). Some schools also have their own need based aid, and some use only the FAFSA to determine it. Some schools also give merit aid, and that's where your gpa would come in.

Look on your portal at your student awards and see what it there.
    If you are an existing student, you should have a financial aid award by now.

The Pell grant will most likely be more than last year, if there is a sibling in college as well.

If you are a PA student, you should get a PHEAA grant of about $4000 a year. Maybe need based aid from the college.

What subject are you majoring in for education?

Does Robert Morris participate in the TEACH grant program?
    I don't know if they participate in the teach grant program and my EFC for 2016-2017 was about 1567. I will also be living off campus this year to save money. I'm hoping to pay $10,000 for the full year, $5,000 each semester. Do you know of any scholarships I could apply for ?
    I am unable to get approved for a student loan and my parents can't co sign. Is there any ideas to get more funding for school ?
    I did the calculator on RMU website and it said for a full it will cost about $15,000 plus maybe eligible for a loan for $5,500
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,636 Senior Member
    Are you talking about a private loan or the loans offered through the school (Stafford)? If you can't qualify for Stafford loans because you aren't in a qualifying school, aren't registered for enough credits, are in default on a loan, there really isn't much you can do. If you can't qualify, you can't get a loan.
    edited July 16
    @kenadeek

How did you pay for the 2016-2017 school year???

Did you receive any need based aid...at all.

You Re a third year student...right? Your federally funded loan will be $7500 not $5500 ($5500 is the freshman amount).
    @kenadeek

Why kind of Loans are you talking about? If you completed a FAFSA, you most definitely can take a $7500 Direct Loan in your name only...no cosigner.

Did your parent apply for a Parent Plus Loan?