Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Where is a school in PA that is close to Robert Morris to get a good teaching degree?

Replies to: Where is a school in PA that is close to Robert Morris to get a good teaching degree?

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 12,929 Senior Member
    You have prioritized getting an apartment with your boyfriend over going to college. That's your right, but you need to understand that any loans you have taken out from your prior years if you aren't going to school.
  • kenadeekkenadeek Registered User Posts: 79 Junior Member
    Okay I know that but I have talked with my parents about changing my path to becoming a paralegal it's less time in school and less money and I would still be making good money if I would get into a good firm.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 29,759 Senior Member
    edited July 17
    WVU offers online courses and you'd be considered instate. You would have to do the Multidisciplinary Bachelor's degree with three minors, which, due to your need to continue with the Education Master's (also available online), would have to be exercise psychology, professional writing, and history - this would cover science, PE, English/writing, and social studies requirements. You need to make sure you've taken math (statistics, math for education), too.
    It's $377/credit, for 15 credits =~ $5,500 in tuition. You can keep working in giant eagle and you can share the apartment.
    How would I apply and I'm quite confused about the minor thing? Plus how many years would it take ?
    My boyfriend and I have been dating for 2 years I didn't meet him at RMU. His parents never encouraged me to change my major and honestly I have seen my own parents struggle with money growing up. I honestly just want to make good money to live comfortably and provide for my family one day. I wanted to be a lawyer when I was younger and paralegal is in that type of field, plus you can work with a good firm and get good benefits.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 29,759 Senior Member
    edited July 17
    Paralegal is a disappearing job due to automation and AI (tasks once performed by Humans are now performed by machines). It once was a very good job and likely is great for your mother in law, because she's been working that job for a while at the same firm. But I don't think they're hiring new paralegals. Few firms are hiring paralegals as they used to and almost all hires, as far as I know, now have bachelor's degrees (I don't know what in, I assume political science, perhaps business administration????)

Teaching is a good job and it's not disappearing. Especially if you can get an ESL or special ed certification, it can become a secure middle class job.

First you need a bachelor's degree. The WVU online degree doesnt have a major but requires three areas of specialization, which is great for a future elementary teacher since you need a strong background in several subjects (English, math, social science, and science.) The three minors I listed combine with general education requirements to make a bachelor's degree from which you can apply for a Master's degree in teaching. Depending on the classes you've already taken, this should take you about two years. If you plan on teaching in PA though you'd need to get that degree in PA.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,411 Super Moderator
    One of the things that you must consider, you can't be going around flittering from program to program because there is a max on the amount of loans that you can take out and there is a max on the number of terms that you can receive Pell. Many good paying paralegal positions (especially at white shoe firms) now want students with bachelor degrees.

I am going to link @zoosermom in on this thread because she does a lot of legal hiring. She can tell you if this would be a good path to take for a well paying paralegal position.
    I read about a few jobs for paralegals now and one said it is preferred to have a bachelors degree but not require and the others I looked at said just to have 2-5 years experience in a previous law firm.
  • blossomblossom Registered User Posts: 7,842 Senior Member
    where are those mysterious 2-5 years in a previous law firm going to come from? Your ability to land that first job is going to depend on your work experience (so far, not relevant to law) and education (which means a BA in a field which has taught you to write well and analyze (history, English, anything writing intensive).

Okay going to school for paralegal will teach me? That what school does, it teaches you how to do things you want to know. You have to start out somewhere.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 25,814 Senior Member
    Paralegal is a disappearing field. I won't bore you with the details, but definitely don't do it. However, if you feel you must, you need to major in pretty much anything and have a good GPA with excellent writing skills.

But don't do it. Really. If you do want the details, let me know and I'll bore you.
    I don't understand ?
    People have told me teaching is a disappearing field as well before, I mean everyone has their opinions.
  • zoosermomzoosermom Registered User Posts: 25,814 Senior Member
    Teaching is not a disappearing field. Paralegal jobs are disappearing.

First, technology. many tasks that used to be performed by junior attorneys have been outsourced or tasked to IT consulting companies. Therefore, the more complex tasks that used to be performed by paralegals have bumped up to give junior associates something to do - because their billables are what keep firms afloat. Second, after the crash, many clients simply will not pay for paralegal time, the more mundane of the traditional paralegal tasks are designated to secretaries now - whose salaries have always been included in the cost of doing business. That leaves a couple of avenues for paralegal jobs - the temporary kind for people on the way to law school, and the kind working for John Smith, Esq. for minimum wage and no benefits.

Teaching jobs aren't disappearing, but it has changed a lot - also since the crash. Many young teachers are fellows in programs like Teach for America and similar. The growth areas are special education and bilingual/ESL. Otherwise, teaching jobs are very hard to come by. My daughter is a young teacher who was tenured last year - she has an undergrad degree in history, with a master's in special education. She also had a fairy godmother who helped her get her first job.

You can absolutely become a teacher if you do things right and proceed in a smart fashion.

I hope you will reconsider becoming a paralegal. If you do choose that path, paralegal certificates are worthless. You need a bachelor's.