Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Where is a school in PA that is close to Robert Morris to get a good teaching degree?

kenadeekkenadeek Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
Looking for a college close to Robert Morris (Moontownship Area) that I could get a good teaching degree from?

Replies to: Where is a school in PA that is close to Robert Morris to get a good teaching degree?

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,122 Senior Member
    Please give the whole story here. You are NOT a PA resident. You need an affordable college in PA. In addition, you are a junior transfer student.

• kenadeekkenadeek Registered User Posts: 80 Junior Member
    Okay I never used this site before. I am a student from WV looking for an affordable college around $20,000 a year close to Robert Morris University. I am getting an apartment near there and would like it to be close. I am junior transfer with a 3.20 GPA (Cum.)
  • apraxiamomapraxiamom Registered User Posts: 249 Junior Member
    You've been a CC member since March and have used the site enough to start several threads.
    The cost of attendance at West Virginia University is just under $20,000 a year. You are instate for that college. Go,there.
  • kidzncatzkidzncatz Registered User Posts: 653 Member
    Slippery Rock and California University of PA are the closest PA state universities to Moon Township, though neither one is very close (~an hour away). There are many private schools in the greater Pittsburgh area, but most of them are more expensive than Robert Morris. Why not go to one of the WV state schools, where you would get instate tuition rates?
  • austinmshauriaustinmshauri Registered User Posts: 5,753 Senior Member
    Where are you getting $20k? You can only borrow $7500 as a junior. With a $962 EFC you may get $5k Pell. That leaves you ~$8k/year short. Are you planning to try to pay for rent, utilities, and food on top of that?
    @austinmshauri

She is also hoping for an additional $4000 in loans if her parents are again denied a Plus Loan.

That leaves $4000. With a job, might be doable...at West Virginia University where the cost of attendance is $20,000 a year for instate students.

It's NOT going to work in PA. Not t RMU. Not at Slippery Rock (COA $28,000).

I haven't heard any compelling reason why this student NEEDS to live near RMU. None.
    I think her boyfriend is in PA.

@kenadeek, Are there any schools you can commute to from your parents' home? Students can't borrow money on their own. You just don't have enough to pay the remaining costs at a PA college because you're not a resident. Take advantage of your residency status in W. VA. and get your degree there. You can always go to PA after you get your degree.

Is your boyfriend in college too? If he can't afford to go to W.VA., then I'd plan to see him during long weekends and breaks.
    I don't know why you guys are judging me so bad for me wanting to be near RMU. It's kind of rude. You don't know my whole situation. Nobody can afford college most student are on student loans anyway. I am trying to limit my cost. I have a workstudy at RMU which pays about $400 a month plus an another job which pays about $400 a month also. My rent is $300 a month which leaves me with $500 left to use on food and I get my books on Amazon. I am even considering going to CCAC for two years bc they have online program for Teaching and then they allows to transfer to a 4 year institution.
    CCAC is only $7,000 a year and that is without financial assistance for out of state
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,636 Senior Member
    I don't think people are trying to be rude, but pointing out that almost any private or OOS college is going to cost more than Direct student loans and Pell can cover. How much do you need for just tuition? $20,000 per semester? So where will that come from? You need all the workstudy and job money for living expenses. You'll have $5000 Pell plus $12500 as a loan (if parents are denied Plus loan). That's great, $17,500, but you need $40000! It just isn't there.

You can look at public schools near RMU but you are OOS and the tuition is going to be too expensive. You can only get work study at RMU if you go there. Another school might award you w/s, but it's getting late in the application cycle.

It is so hard to know when something just won't work, and this just won't work. My daughter goes to a school that she couldn't attend without her merit scholarship, her athletic scholarship, some instate scholarships, and her student loan. And she knows that. If any one of those goes away, her whole structure fails. You need more in your structure to get to $40k per year, or you need to go to a different school. You can't be a teacher in PA if you don't finish school and you can't finish school if you can't pay the tuition, but you could get a WV license and then take any additional classes you need to get licensed in PA.
    I don't understand why I can't go to a community college in pa graduate then get my masters at bigger college ?
    I thought you already had 2 years of school. If you're a rising junior, you probably have too many credits to be able to attend a community college. Once you get an associate's degree, you'd still have to go to a 4-year school for your bachelor's. How will you pay for that in 2 years if you can't cover it now?
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,636 Senior Member
    Some community colleges do grant 4 year degrees, but most do not, and not in every major. You need to check the PA community colleges and see what degrees they grant. Most community colleges only grant associates degrees, and then you transfer to a 4 year college to complete a BS or BA. You need a BS or BA to get accepted to a master's program.
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,716 Super Moderator
    edited July 17
    It is more of the other way, there are 4 -year schools that also give associates degrees. However, in order for OP to get a teaching degree and be eligible for a teach grant, she needs to be pursuing a bachelors degree. Op needs to attend a school in WV, where she can commute. She would also be served, going to a brick and mortar school so that they can assist her in setting up her student teaching (required) and walking her through the process of getting her state certification in teaching (which can be very challenging and can take a very long time if you are trying to do everything on your own)
    @kenadeek wrote:

I am trying to limit my cost. I have a workstudy at RMU which pays about $400 a month plus an another job which pays about $400 a month also. My rent is $300 a month which leaves me with $500 left to use on food and I get my books on Amazon.

All of this is gone if you are not attending RMU