Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Rutgers-Camden financial aid info for NJ lower income students

MACmiracleMACmiracle Registered User Posts: 503 Member
edited August 11 in Rutgers University
I don't remember if the Bridging the Gap program has been talked about here, so I thought I would mention it.

Camden might not be the most pleasant college town and I don't know much about the academics, but I know people who have gone there who successfully launched into good careers.

With Bridging the Gap, students with a family income under $100K can get a grant that will cover 50% to full-tuition and fees. Under $60K is what it takes to get the full gap after state and federal grants covered.

And ASSETS are not considered, only AGI.

I have a friend who owns a small apartment from her pre-marriage years in addition to their home. They depend on the rent to get by because they do not have a high income and she has had very serious health problems. That is the type of family that can be at a disadvantage in the typical FA calculations, but because Bridging the Gap does not look at assets, college can be affordable for them.

https://admissions.camden.rutgers.edu/paying-for-college/bridging-gap

I wish there were more programs like this out there.

I suspect Rutgers-Camden is now facing a lot of competition from Rowan with their generous scholarships and I wonder if that played a part in developing Bridging the Gap.