Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Fin Aid for an International student

ivydreamer2017ivydreamer2017 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
Hello!

I am an international student from Russia. Due to a devastating financial situation, I extremely need significant financial assistance (nearly full-ride scholarships).

My profile:

IB, predicted 40/45. W GPA will be about 4.2; UW - 3.8
New SAT: 1340 (CR640, M700, working hard on the Reading section, math is not problematic) - will retake in October, expect around 1450.
A wide range of extracurriculars, from establishing an online store to volunteering (300 hours) as a teacher at a local library.
Attended several summer programs in the USA and other countries, including YYGS at Yale.
Got a quite dramatic life story, so there is some material for the essays.

(I don't know what else I should include, so please ask if smth)

Can you please recommend some colleges which are generous with scholarships and fin.aid for internationals? Sounds unrealistic, I know, haha.

I am currently considering: Macalester, Vassar (not sure), Fordham, Skidmore, Lafayette, Colby, Soka Uni, Trinity, University of Richmond. Any chance among some of those?

Thanks in advance!

Replies to: Fin Aid for an International student

• thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,121 Senior Member
    edited August 12
    https://www.macalester.edu/financialaid/apply/international/ nothing guaranteed there

Skidmore:
    Financial Aid Office
    INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS

Each year, Skidmore College provides a few international students with need-based financial aid awards. The awards are very competitive and amounts are determined by the demonstrated financial need of the family.

Please note: international students who enroll as first-year students without applying for financial aid will not be eligible for financial aid in future years.

You can look the rest up yourself. Google...international financial....and the name of the college.

All of,the colleges on your list are need aware for admissions. This means that your financial need WILL be considered when your application for admission is considered.

How much do you need in aid to attend college here? Can your parents contribute anything? What is their annual income in USD?

Looks like Vassar meets need for international accepted students.

https://admissions.vassar.edu/financial-aid/

Fordham University › info ›
    Fordham University does not offer need based financial aid to international applicants
    Lafayette meets the full demonstrated financial need of international students through a combination of loan, job, and grant aid. The awarding of aid is extremely competitive.
    Colby meets 100 percent of the full demonstrated need of all admitted students, for all four years, regardless of citizenship—including more than $5 million to more than 100 international students in the 2014-2015 academic year. Financial need is determined by each family’s financial circumstances. Applicants receiving need-based aid may also be eligible for assistance with summer living or travel expenses.

International Students. Richmond is need-aware when reviewing admission applications from non-U.S. citizens. If you are admitted, we will meet 100% of demonstrated eligibility for all admitted students. The average financial aid award (need-based, merit, etc.) to international students in 2016-17 was $41,400.

You get the point...but the thing is...do,you HAVE financial need?
  • ivydreamer2017ivydreamer2017 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    @thumper1 would a family with annual income of ~11 000 afford to send their kids to college? Don't think so...So I guess I have financial need.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,121 Senior Member
    Ok...so your income is low.

So read above. Some of your colleges do provide need based aid...and meet full need for all accepted international students. You need to check for that on every financial aid website at every college you consider.

BUT as mentioned...ALL of the schools on your list are need aware for admissions for international students...meaning your ability to pay WILL be considered when your application for admission is reviewed.

Some of the colleges on your current list don't give aid to international,students at all.

Some give aid to only SOME international students...not all. That means you have no guarantee that YOU will receive enough aid from these schools.

Full ride financial,aid awards are NOT the norm here. They just aren't. Even for U.S. citizens, getting a full free ride isn't a walk in the park.