Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We've just launched our new college search tool at http://www.collegeconfidential.com/schools. Use this form to provide feedback as we continue to work toward a more robust solution to best meet your needs.

Just a quick question

Replies to: Just a quick question

• Will100Will100 Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    For both terms it says I was awarded 2907
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 61,940 Senior Member
    edited August 12
    I'm confused. So spring term full time cost $2180...and you say summer full time was only $727?

How so?
    I have no idea
    @kelsmom

Maybe you can help here??
    It’s say spring terms Pell Grant accepted 2907 and for summer is says the same thing but what was disbursed for spring was 2180 and for summer 727
    Ok...I'm guessing here...and hoping @kelsmom clarifies.

You were enrolled half of the academic year 2016-2017. So your actual Pell award would have been half of $5900...which is $2950 for that academic year.

You used the full $2950 between your spring term...and your summer term....right?

I'm not sure you are entitled to more. But I'm not really sure...so hoping @kelsmom responds.

• Madison85Madison85 Registered User Posts: 10,225 Senior Member
    What's your EFC?
    It’s really weak my etc
    What is your EFC....on the FAFSA. Was it $0?
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,313 Super Moderator
    If both spring and summer were 2016-2017, you would have been entitled to a full (annual) Pell award between the two semesters. However, Pell is based on # of credits in which you were enrolled in a given semester. Please post the number of credits in which you were enrolled for spring, and post the number of credits for summer. In addition, let us know if your summer courses were taken all at once, or if the start dates were staggered. If they were staggered, what were the start dates & the number of credits for each of those start dates? All of this is important in order to be able to give you any advice.
    The summer courses started the same day and I had 18 credits
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,417 Super Moderator
    moderators note
    @Will100 , you are really not trying to help to bring your issue to resolution.

Are you saying the thesping and the summer term started on the same day?

How many of these 18 credits were from the spring ter and how many were from the summer term?
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 12,958 Senior Member
    I think you got what you are going to get from Pell. The school figures it out, applies the Pell amount to the bill, and gives you anything left over. Usually that takes a week or two after the term starts. You got less for the summer because the term is not the same number of credits as the spring, or you only had that amount left in your Pell grant max.

It would be pretty amazing if the amount you received for the Pell grant was exactly what your cost for the spring tuition was. If you had any other FA, you might have received the entire Pell grant to help you cover other expenses like commuting or r&b. The Pell grant is often applied last as it can be given to the student where many other grants and scholarships are only for tuition.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,313 Super Moderator
    Spring term: How many credits?
    Summer term: How many credits?
    I was awarded a full annual Pell of 5815$
    I accepted 2907 for the spring course and 2907 for the summer course
    I used only 2180 from the spring course and 727 for the summer
    Spring credits= 12
    Summer credits= 6