Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Strong engineering schools with decent merit scholarships

2»

Replies to: Strong engineering schools with decent merit scholarships

• mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,259 Senior Member
    @youcee and @Dolemite

This student is a likely NMF, so while they wouldn't get the eng'g award, he'd still get free tuition plus more.

Value of tuition for up to five years or 10 semesters for degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate (or law) studies
    One year of on-campus housing at regular room rate* (based on assignment by Housing and Residential Communities)
    $3,500 per year Merit Scholarship stipend for four years.
    One-time allowance of $2,000 for use in summer research or international study (after completing one year of study at UA)
    $2,000 book scholarship ($500 per year for four years)
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 7,850 Senior Member
    The honors label may be useful if it comes with perks like nicer/quieter housing, scholarships, or early registration for classes. That's why I put up with the extra requirements for mine (research, thesis, certain number of honors classes).
  • carachel2carachel2 Registered User Posts: 2,441 Senior Member
    @blevine --Agreed 100%. At the engineering welcome and advising session (parents were included in the welcome part and then dismissed while the students registered), I almost felt like standing up and applauding when the advisor said "For all of you in this room, you've felt the need to take the honors version/AP/IB version of every class you've taken. Either it was from a desire to be with other kids like you or your parents pushed you or you pushed yourself---whatever the reason, it STOPS right here. There is NO extra credit or leg up given here for taking the honors version of anything. The *regular* classes will be ENOUGH. Trust me. The only reason you need to take the honors version of anything is if you live and dream in say...physics....and you feel you couldn't breathe if you couldn't talk about physics with other students 24X7, then DO take honors physics. But otherwise, don't do it."
  • jcmom716jcmom716 Registered User Posts: 269 Junior Member
    Case Western is medium in size, has a strong engineering program, and gives merit. You could run the NPC to see if it gets you in range.
    True that being in the honors college can mean perks like early registration.
  • cherryturtlecherryturtle Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    edited September 9
    If you are in-state for Missouri, why is he not going to attend Missouri S&T? Very cheap and full of engineering majors. If he makes NMF, he will end up with 10,000$ a year in merit aid with already low in-state tuition.

Edit: I see he already said he didn't want to attend S&T, but he should still apply as this would likely be his cheapest option...
  • meltimnkidsmeltimnkids Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    Thanks for all the feedback. I am encouraging him to apply to S&T but he would like a bigger school. He's pushing to visit Arizona State. It's so far from home but good $ for NMF and strong engineering and honors program.
    @meltimnkids

When you visited Bama, did you just do the regular campus tour? Did you have the honors college or eng'g set up a tour?
  • meltimnkidsmeltimnkids Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    I didn't go with him on the Bama tour but he did do the honors college and engineering. I can't figure out why but he's not sold on Bama.
2»