Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Expected Family Contribution?

RedslpRedslp Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
My daughter is currently attending a Junior College. In two years, I expect her to be transferring to a 4 year college and my son to be starting at a 4 year college. When I fill out the Financial Aid Forecaster Application, it tells me my EFC is 2 million if I have only 1 child in school and 1 million if I have 2 children in school. Is that 1 million each child or 1 million total? Are their better financial aid packages for siblings going to the same school? (Obviously, my numbers aren't real.)

Replies to: Expected Family Contribution?

• BelknapPointBelknapPoint Registered User Posts: 2,649 Senior Member
    It's 1 million each child. I have heard that there may be some schools that offer sibling discounts (that is, a discount above and beyond what you would normally expect when you two kids in college at the same time), but I don't think it's very common.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 62,681 Senior Member
    That 50/50 EFC for two kids is for,the fafsa.

BUT for schools using the Profile...it's usually 60/60.

• twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 13,298 Senior Member
    There are some schools that offer a sibling discount. My daughter's school does IF they both go to that school. The only discount you get for both in school at the same time is the EFC divided in half on the FAFSA, and any grants a private school would offer, usually off the CSS.
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 5,725 Senior Member
    It would be 1 million per kid- 50/50 for the FAFSA. Schools that use the css profile will be a little different- closer to 60/60 as Thumper pointed out. Some schools use the EFC from the FAFSA but also require the CSS profile- my daughters school does this.
  • RedslpRedslp Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    That embarrassing moment when you realize you used their, instead of there, in a forum about education. :P
  • CU123CU123 Registered User Posts: 1,092 Senior Member
    a very common error.
  • mommdcmommdc Registered User Posts: 8,352 Senior Member
    That million FAFSA EFC number means that you won't qualify for any federal aid, except unsubsidized loans.

The actual cost of the school will be what they charge for tuition/fees/room and board, minus any merit scholarships.

So if you don't want to pay full price at an expensive school, look at instate public options and schools where they could get merit.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 62,681 Senior Member
    @mommdc read the last line of of the OP....the million dollars is NOT their real number. It is what they chose to,use for an example.

But to @Redslp its pretty hard to give you decent advice when the sample you choose would put you totally out of the range for any need based aid...at all.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,281 Senior Member
    <<<<But to @Redslp its pretty hard to give you decent advice when the sample you choose would put you totally out of the range for any need based aid...at all.
    <<<

True

If you gave us some estimates...such as:

FAFSA EFC for one in college, $80k per year. FAFSA EFC for two in college, $40k per year.