Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I have no money for college

Replies to: I have no money for college

• AroundHereAroundHere Registered User Posts: 1,943 Senior Member
    There is a free college matching service for families making under 80,000 per year, but you have to have a minimum SAT or ACT to qualify:

https://www.collegepoint.info/learn-more/
  • BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    Do you have any dual enrollment options through your high school so you can start earning college credits now?
    You can start studying for SAT on khan https://www.khanacademy.org/sat
  • yooperguy87yooperguy87 Registered User Posts: 11 New Member
    Yeah, we do have dual enrollment but as soon as I found out, applications were over, I need to start looking into it for next year
    I am kicking myself for not finding out about it sooner. I royally screwed myself there
  • twogirlstwogirls Registered User Posts: 5,712 Senior Member
    Ask your parents if they can contribute anything. Once you have scores and a more definitive GPA you can investigate possible merit. Hopefully your parents will help fill out the FAFSA.

It appears as though there are no schools within commuting distance. Do you have any family members such as grandparents who live close to a school?
    My aunt does live in SE Wisconsin, that could be a possibility
    Can you possibly live with your aunt, work, and attend classes part time?
    In Ohio school district superintendents can over ride missed deadlines. You should check to see if there is any way you can sign up for the next session of classes or if summer session is possible.

Make sure you are aware of different deadlines for the program, your high school may have one to let them know you want to do it, but the colleges usually have their own deadlines for applications that are weeks if not months before classes start.

Even if you've missed the deadline and can't get an over ride for becoming a participant this year, it may not be too early to figure out the college application process to be a dual enrolled student at the college. Often the college requires an ACT or SAT score, but some offer to give a free placement test instead to qualify for admission. You need to understand the process (and any minimum scores you may need) so you can take advantage of it as soon as possible.
    living with my aunt Is kinda my last resort, but It could be a chance I have to take, since SE Wisconsin offers a lot more jobs than here
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 62,600 Senior Member
    You are NOT a resident of Wisconsin...and you will be paying OOS costs to attend a public university or community college in Wisconsin.

Do you have any relatives in Michigan who live closer to a public college...who might let you live with them for a small amount of money...or maybe in exchange for doing some chores? That way...you would be paying instate tuition costs.
  • Marg532Marg532 Registered User Posts: 359 Member
    I'm in relatively the same boat as you @yooperguy87 my parents make around 65k/yr and we just lost my mom's part time income. My sister lives at home and commutes to a state college campus around 30-40 minutes away, and has to pay the EFC from the FAFSA (aka anything not covered by her package) by herself. My parents only do the FAFSA, and they never planned on helping my sister, and certainly don't plan on helping me. She had to take out as many loans as she could, and she just lost her part time job because the place where she worked closed down (same place my mom worked).

My plan is to get a lot of merit wherever I apply (I already have some really good scholarships that I've received), be an RA as many years as I can to get free/reduced room and board, get a part time job when I'm home during the summers, and possibly work during the school year if I have to.

Apply to lots of outside scholarships, if you can. There's a lot of competition usually, but every penny counts, and you never know if you'll get it until you apply! Good luck to you!
    Thumper is right- I just realized that you live in Michigan and not Wisconsin. I have the same question- any relatives in Michigan who live close to a public college?
    Thanks for the advice guys, unfortunately, no relatives near a college in MI, I'm gonna have to think of other ways