Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

I have no money for college

13»

Replies to: I have no money for college

• gearmomgearmom Registered User Posts: 1,501 Senior Member
    @yooperguy87 Are you taking any AP classes?
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    Earning $78k a year is not the main problem, it is how long your family has been in that income and how your parents manage money more critical factors. I know families making less than that and can support their children's education. Talk to your parents and run the NPCs od colleges to see how much you can afford.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Registered User Posts: 82,259 Senior Member
    You can go to school by taking online classes at a reputable low cost school. Perhaps your CC system offers online courses.

When you stated your parents earning....did you mean per month...or per week,??

• Cicada3301SolverCicada3301Solver Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    This is not low-income at all, my parents make less that $40k a year in the very expensive city of Los Angeles. Both Immigrants, Both lack HS education. Don't say you are poor because you are in a poor neighborhood.
  • romanigypsyeyesromanigypsyeyes Registered User Posts: 31,890 Senior Member
    This is so weird that I only get like half of my mentions. I only clicked here because of the OP's name.

Sorry, OP, but you're not anywhere near low income for the UP. It might feel that way because of the medical bills but your FAFSA EFC won't reflect this unless you can get a professional judgment. The UP is tough though because no schools are within commuting distance for the most part especially with the brutal UP winters.

OP- look into Tech, EMU, WMU, GVSU, and OU to start. You can probably get into MSU but you won't get a penny of merit aid and likely zero in need based aid as well. U of M will give you need-based but it is a pretty big stretch to get in- even being from the UP. Definitely apply though especially if you can get tippy top test scores.

I don't know as much about NMU but that would be a logical choice too- definitely easier and cheaper during breaks and whatnot.

What do you want to major in? (Did I miss it?) What kind of college do you want? Would you consider a private like Kzoo?
  • LindagafLindagaf Registered User Posts: 6,619 Senior Member
    Another idea is to take CLEP exams. CLEP credits can take the place of general education requirements at four year colleges. They can save you a lot of money. Go to the College Board website for more info.
  • BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    Here is a good school in Upper Peninsula that offers some courses online and also has dual enrollment http://www.mtu.edu/online/undergraduate/cost/
  • VAOptimistVAOptimist Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    You should take a look at the Midwestern Student Exchange program: http://msep.mhec.org
    There are some good deals there, from $6,000 tuition at Univ of MN-Duluth to University of Kansas (a really great school) at $13.8K in tuition.

You could cover UMN-Duluth tuition with a Federal loan, but you or your family would still need to cover $7K+ a year in room and board. Can they help at all? You will need to start working and saving now if you plan to go away for college.

You may find your best options are still in-state but this gives you some others to look at. Good luck
  • VAOptimistVAOptimist Registered User Posts: 122 Junior Member
    The UMN-Duluth website states that the MSEP tuition is now $13.8K. The MSEP site must be out of date - sorry for the error. However, they do have merit scholarships starting at 3.5 GPA and 27 ACT.

If you can't afford that, you could start at Lake Superior College in Duluth, MN, get an AA and outstanding grades and transfer. The MI resident tuition there is $6500, which could mostly be covered by a federal loan. You would still need $7-8K to cover room & board, so start working and saving now. (Lake Superior does have boarders - they share apts with UMN-Duluth students off campus or they can board at UW-Superior.) Duluth is a nice place to live with lots of college students.

The key to getting merit scholarships is applying to schools where you are above average in stats. So do consider applying to places like UMN-Duluth as well as UM-Ann Arbor (a reach), MSU, MTU. CMU and EMU might work as well.
  • kidzncatzkidzncatz Registered User Posts: 635 Member
    Minnesota State University-Mankato gives in-state tuition to out-of-state students meeting any one of the following requirements.

From the website:
    "In-state Tuition Requirements for First Year Students

High school 2017 or later graduates who meet any of the following requirements will automatically receive an in-state tuition scholarship: rank in the top 15 percent of their high school class, have a GPA of 3.8, have an ACT composite score of 25, OR have an SAT Total of 1220 (March 2016 test or later)."

In-state tuition and fees total slightly over $8,000 a year (up to 18 credits/semester), but room, board, and books would be additional.

If your parents are unable or unwilling to pay anything, your best bet may be an online degree from one of the less expensive public universities which now offer such degrees. Many of them charge no extra out-of-state fees to fully online students.
  • BuckeyeMWDSGBuckeyeMWDSG Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    It can be expensive to take the standardized tests and pay application fees for colleges. Talk to your guidance counselor and start developing a good, respectful relationship with them. They can really help your applications and you need them on your side. Often these are the people asked to nominate students from their high school for different awards. And the more they know about you the more opportunities they can send your way. They can also help you get fee waivers.
13»